Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Text boxes with transparent shadow edges

Patrick,

I'd say your missing out something for your sliced image to be that badly out, but that said I've always had problems with Xtremes slicing.

Perhaps you and a few others could test this xar out for me?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Patrick & Egg,

Patrick: My quick slice example should have had pixel perfect dimensions, so some anomlies can be expected in sizes.

Egg: I also get the extra pixel and I really can't see why. Your dimensions and positions are pixel perfect and there are no lines involved. Preview looks great in ie and firefox.

Perhaps someone from Xara can explain?

(In practice, I tend to do mostly corners and don't fuss too much about pixel perfect. I fix up any one pixel problems using paintshop pro and also use that to crop thin slices.)

Paul

All you can do is to forget Xara Xtreme for such slicing tasks.

Instead, I would recommend the following steps:
    1. Select your irregular shape and export it as PNG with transparency.
    2. Open your Bitmap editor (Photoshop or the Freeware Photoshop-Clone Artweaver) and slice the image with the better slicing functionality of your bitmap editor (see the hardcopy from Artweaver).

Remi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artweaver_slice_hardcopy_599.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	39844  

Unsurprisingly fireworks is also rather good at this and is probably more intuitive in some ways (slice, then name the slices).

Paul

And not to forget Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Flash. But the slicing functionality in our beloved Xara Xtreme is old-fashioned - unfortunately.

Remi

Just thought I'd add that Real Draw has a kick-ass image slicer, that is even capable of creating a few different types of rollover effects automatically. I haven't tried Fireworks, Adobe, or other packages to compare it to, but the RD slicer blew me away. I thought it was almost worth the cost of Real Draw by itself. (For professional graphics, Xara wins hands-down, although it doesn't have some of RD's neat brush/bitmap abilities.)

Cheers all. I must admit I agree with Remi and the rest of you regarding the slicing. Fortunately it's a thing I never require but there's a definite bug in there somewhere.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Patrick,

I'd say your missing out something for your sliced image to be that badly out, but that said I've always had problems with Xtremes slicing.

Perhaps you and a few others could test this xar out for me?
    Hmm, I thought I could smell a bug. But there are two issues. One I suspect is related to how you drew the shapes with snapping features - which I'm covering in a new tutorial soon. But there's something definitely also wrong with Xara here in addition. The error is either or both due to placement with grid snapping on, or to do with snapping when objects are being drawn (if theres even a distinction). There is an inaccuracy somewhere that is causing misalignment in certain situations, leaving gaps on slicing.

Seems to me that Eggs example is bullet-proof. All his shapes are on whole pixel boundaries and the dimensions are in whole pixels, in addition his shapes don't have any outlines, so no line width issues to consider.

Given Eggs excellent example I don't see how snapping would be an issue.

Time and time again, people (myself included) come a cropper in using Xara for web work and using (OK, it's our own fault in some ways) fractional pixel values.

Wouldn't it be great if there was an option that said "Force whole pixel values" so that positions would always be on whole pixels and dimensions would always be whole pixel units?

Paul

Hi,

Put in Utilities
    grid to 100pix
    subdivisions to 100

when you create a rectangle say 300x300pix
    move it across canvas with grid enabled,you'll see it always snaps to whole pixels

Hans