Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to spherize images?

Hi, I am trying to create an earth icon and I would like to sort of wrap or spherize the continents image so it looks like it is on a globe (not flat). What tools would be best to use to achieve this?

Thanks!

Default Re: How to spherize images?

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    You could try Xtreme's live effects tool - deformation - fisheye perspective.
    EDIT: if you place a circle behind the middle graphic and apply clip view, you get the result furthest to the right.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sphere3.png 
Views:	490 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	60722  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 09 May 2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: alter graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

A warm TG welcome to you, chobo.

You could try this tutorial from the XaraXone entitled A Glass Sphere (August 2005, ©2005 Gary W. Priester). I found it an excellent learning experience and may be just what you're looking for, for your world.

Here's my finished version circa Oct. 2008.

IHTH,
    HayTay

Name:	A Glass Sphere_Finished.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	60720  

That's exactly what I was looking for Thank you both very much!

if you have either Paintshop Pro or Photoshop, you can get an even more realistic spherized effect.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	sphere ps & psp.png 
Views:	470 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	60724  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

There's another way to create the illusion of a sphere which is something I picked up from Gary a while back.

Perhaps better explained with a quick video

* Press Play ► to start (1.9mb streaming video) | ►► Full Screen
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 May 2009 at 06:14 AM.

AHA, you've jogged my memory Steve. I knew I had seen another way of producing this effect but I couldn't quite place it. Your video made me recall the barn owl from the Clipart Gallery used in The XaraXone Workbook #64 - Bitmap Fish Eye Lens Effect tutorial (©2007 Gary W. Priester). Sledger's video shows how to create the effect with ease but sometimes it's nice to be able to use the printed version of a tutorial for reference instead of switching back and forth between applications.

How are you coming along chobo?

Just checking,
    HayTay

Back to chobo's Earth icon question..

You can create planets using this method by first creating your texture by whatever means.

Here I have used fractal plasma and fractal cloud overlays using different colours.
    I then create a bitmap copy and proceed to follow the spherize directions in the video above or Gary's tutorial (with note to the post spherize highlighting).

Name:	spherize for planets.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	60756  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 May 2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Update image

Quote Originally Posted by chobo View Post
    Hi, I am trying to create an earth icon and I would like to sort of wrap or spherize the continents image so it looks like it is on a globe (not flat). What tools would be best to use to achieve this?
    Well, since you already have a "continents" image, I would start with that. I took a physical map of the world bitmap and cropped it left and right until it was a square. Then I made a bitmap copy of it (much easier to work with than the original huge image). Then I bitmap traced it to transform it to a vector. Then I applied the Circular Envelope mould which made my square vector a circular "fish eyed" vector. Then I added a white layer of fractal cloud transparency as a Clipview. Finally I added a black circle over the top and gave it some circular transparency.

Here is the XAR file as well (apologies for the size of it, but it contains the original world bitmap)

Name:	earth.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	60759  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve and Harry _ I Cannot take credit for the blend trick. That technique came from Availor. But it is a good technique and works very well.