Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default colour change when blending

I have an unexpected result when blending two cloned groups, as shown below.
    Attached is the .xar file and I'd be grateful if any of you could tell me if you are experiencing the same result.
    If you get expected results, ie a rusty effect rather than a blood-spattered one, then I suppose it could be a graphics card problem.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal text 1.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	58309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal text 2.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	58310  

Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: colour change when blending

HI Bob - well messing about a bit - taking it apart, resizing, it tends to go back to orange, sometimes

an effect of the mould tool+blend on the fractal fill maybe?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Bob,

Very freaky! I tried blends between the original and a clone, the original and a duplicate, two clones, & two duplicates, all resulting in some combination of blood red letters.

The only way I was able make it work consistently, keeping the desired rusty color, was to use a blend between two bitmap copies as you can see below.

Something strange going on,
    Harry

Name:	Metal - Bitmap Copy Blend.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	58313  
    Last edited by HayTay; 29 March 2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Changed wording

Thanks, guys. I overcame the problem by making a blend between 2 simple moulds, one with fractal transparency, and superimposing the rusty text over the top of the blended mouds.
    relieved to find that my graphics card is ok, but it is an intriguing aberration.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	metal text 3.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	58314  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

When I opened the file both the upper and the lower were blood red. But as soon as I touched the upper one it turned to rust.

I'd have used the 3D filter - makes a better job of the 3D effect than a blend, I think.
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    ...I'd have used the 3D filter - makes a better job of the 3D effect than a blend, I think.
    Ahh, but then you don't get the "rust/blood" on the sides as well.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Frank, I agree that the 3D extrude tool makes a quicker and smoother job, but as Keith pointed out there's the problem with the sides, which would have to be drawn over and given the fractal fill plus a flat transparency.
    This project was for a future Xtreme text tutorial, and I wanted it to be all-inclusive, that is, for those with earlier versions of Xtreme than XX4 which do not have the Extrude facility. Also, being translatable to other programs such as DrawPlus, CorelDraw, Inkscape and Illustrator was in the back of my mind.
    I'm still mystified by the rust/blood transformation. I suppose there was too much going on with moulds, blends, fills and transparencies which caused the "buggy" behaviour.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

You've convinced me! You've convinced me!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Oh my, what's with that rusty metal layer? It's kind of spooky.

If I use my scroll button to zoom in and out the image after ungrouping and removing the mould, the rusty part becomes red. Once the color window showed it as red too but most of the time it still shows an orange color when it's red.

Even before ungrouping and removing the mould if you click on it, it sometimes turns red.

I changed its colors to blue and when I zoom it goes dark blue....very strange.

Yes Nancy, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't opened this particular can of worms.
    It's a bit odd, isn't it? The way I have resolved it will be revealed soon in a new "Metal Text Tutorial" thread. Watch, as they say, this space.
    Saludos,
    Bob.