Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Just another way to succeed..?

It has been brought up before at TG that when a desired feature isn't built into Xtreme and where a way to produce the same result via an alternative method is found, it is rather negatively labeled a 'work-around' and considered second best (or worse).

Do you agree?

A 'work-around' to me means there is a known problem when the normal route is attempted so an alternative approach is used to avoid the error cropping up. (Such as avoiding a known bug for example.)
    This is a legitimate use of the term work-around as far as I see it.

Another TG discussion reminded me of this:
    Xtreme has no TWAIN interface (Acquire menu) yet some people really wish for it and consider it almost a show stopper at worst, or a PITA for them.
    I say that Acquire isn't strictly necessary for Xtreme and because it isn't available doesn't cause errors or a bug.
    Many scanners have configurable buttons which allow you to either nominate a target application (eg; Xara Xtreme) or send the scan to the clipboard, the scanned result can be simply opened from the paste command (or Ctrl+V). Most manufacturers supply a scanner driver which usually has plenty of user configurable options like resolution, colour depth, image effects and enhancements - often there are standard presets available too. This means your image is sent to the target application or clipboard in an almost 'image ready state' for final work.

Should this really be labeled a 'work-around'? After all, you are not avoiding any known errors or bugs, you are not having to work any harder (often it's easier than drilling through the Aquire menu of a graphics app). Rather than it being a work-around, it's just another way to succeed, or as has been said "workarounds are as creative as true solutions, involving outside the box thinking in their creation."

That's my view

What say you?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 31 December 2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spill Chucker failed

Default Re: Just another way to succeed..?

I agree with you Steve.

There are people that label any Xtreme technique a work-around when it does not comply with their perception of how it should be done. Often it is a perception that a vector drawing application should function like a raster editor.

Acquiring images from my scanners is not a complex task. I scan then save from the scanner software as tiff, jpg, etc. and import into Xtreme. No big deal.

As for people wanting an eraser there are many ways to accomplish the same thing in Xtreme that are faster and more accurate.

People resist change to their habits. Many people began computer graphics using MS Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, or other raster editors for older computer systems like Commodore 64, Sinclair (?sp), Acorn, Color Computer, Atari, TI-99/4A, etc. They needed an eraser to clear blocks of pixels. Using boolean functions is not a concept they have years of experience with so they request older technology to return to their comfort zone.
    Last edited by Soquili; 31 December 2008 at 04:31 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I use Dmitry's MicroScan works great. It saves the image to the clipboard then it's simply ctrl+v to paste into Xara. I think you can download it from the Xara Xone.

As for an eraser function, it would come in handy when sketching with a pen tablet, as most tablets have built in support for eraser functions. Mine works just like a pencil, if the program has an erase feature I simply turn the pen upside down and erase.

I do like the way you put it though Steve, another way to succeed does sound much nicer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    A 'work-around' to me means there is a known problem when the normal route is attempted so an alternative approach is used to avoid the error cropping up. (Such as avoiding a known bug for example.)
    This is a legitimate use of the term work-around as far as I see it.
    I agree with this definition. However I think this term can have a wider interpretation depending on the person using it. Some people see a work-around merely as a way to bypass their problem (which can be anything) with the program and figure out a reasonable solution. They are also right in some way: their interpretation of the term is the literal translation of a work-around which can be applied to anything. It can be interpreted as working around a bug/error or around a problem.

I personally don't consider a work-around as something negative. In fact I often welcome work-arounds as they help me solve problems.

I don't have a problem with workarounds and I don't think most people do.

I think that what upsets people is having to do extra work (the workaround) when there exists in other software some solution that many people think could/should/must be incorporated into Xtreme to save them that extra work.

The key to irritation in this context is repetition.

If I scan in 50 images for use in Xtreme, the lack of TWAIN support is reinforced over and over again. If I have a way of working involving layers and it inevitably involves a lot of clicking on and off layers to get the result I want and I do this 50 times over, then the 'click - click click click' workaround becomes very tedious.

The combination of repeated tedium combined with the knowledge that other software has already provided suitable support to remove the tedium, is what makes for unhappy users. Of course, sometimes it's something to do uniquely with Xtreme that we want changed, so then it's a belief that Xara could make our life easier, but ignores us that drives the negative vibes.

That's the way I see it. As professor Paul says:

"missing feature" * "repetition" = "tedium" + "unhappiness"

Interesting thread, Steve.

The best thing is to just know what the strength is of a program.
    And to use them accordingly.

To refer to the scanning newspaper-thread, there are,like pointed out,other ways to approach this.
    You could scan the 50 items before using Xtreme,just save them to a folder.
    It's all about planning isn't it.

I use XNview as picture manager and it has (batch)scanning capabilities to scan to a folder with date assigning.
    If I have XNview open,I can drag the (multiple)files to the canvas of Xtreme.
    If you scan with the OCR,the text will be txt again.
    These txt files show up in the preview in XNview,simply select all and copy/paste to a text box in Xtreme.

Hans

I dont want to make this a moderator against members but I have to agree with Steve here. With Xara we have a vector programme which deals with bitmaps well and the same can just about be said about Illustrator and both don't have the ability to acquire images from a scanner because they are basically vector programmes not pixel based.

As for the many other workarounds that are easier say in Illustrator well conversely there are many times when I am using this programme I cry out, "why can't I add an node when doing transparencies" and that I have to go through the gradient palette to do it. It is Swings & Roundabouts with vector programmes and that is why I always keep a copy of FreeHand on my hard disc for certain jobs because it is easier to use that programme to do let's say perspective drawing.

I am a great believer in using the right programme for a certain job. If I wanted to do a newsletter which used tables and needed a master page layout I would not use XPro but I would use something like Serif's PagePlus. If I had slides or documents to process I would use other programmes to do that job.

I know I am of the topic here so I will quickly return to workarounds and state that if that workarounds saves me time then I will use it as part of the programme and be happy using it. Many people who use Illustrator waste more time trying to find the right function to do a certain job as its user interface is so complex that when doing the same job in XPro is much quicker even when you have to use some simple workarounds. Having said all that when planning a job I would still think is this the right tool for that job or could it be done quicker in another programme.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Exclamation Re: Just another way to succeed..?

What did we do when we only had a pencil or a paint brush to work with?

Part of the fun for me is figuring out how to do something when there is not a one-click luxury tool to do it. This gives me more satisfaction than having a tool do it automatically.

Case in point, before Xtreme had a soft drop shadow tool, we used to create our own using a blend, or by applying a circular or elliptical transparency.

This is not to say that some of these time saving effects and functions are not desirable and it's not to say that they do not add to the productivity of Xtreme, but c'mon people, stop whining and start drawing and figuring out how to achieve the effect you're after using the powerful set of tools you have. You will increase your skills and knowledge of the tools you do have.

Well said, Gary.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Consensus seems to be on the topic,that the tools created for the job should be used the way they are meant to be

Reminds me of the new years wish I posted here on January first of this year

http://talkgraphics.com/showpost.php...32&postcount=1

Hans