Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe CS4

Default Adobe CS4

I see that Adobe have released CS4. Very tempting .... but very expensive. I've got Studio8, bypassed CS3 ~ couldn't afford it, but I do find with these suites they make it difficult to purchase a single product. My main use is Flash. I've never come to terms with Dreamweaver, for the amount of html designing I do I find the learning curve very steep. Never had Photoshop but I expect the learning curve to be the same. I have had Illustrator but I've only really used it for file conversions.

Do I go for just the Flash CS4 upgrade £163 or stay with the bundle and go for Creative Suite 4 Web Premium upgrade at £530. Tony Blairs government was all about choice ... I don't want choice ... it confuses me! Ever tried to choose a mobile phone tariff, there's no end of choice/fog/confussion.

I know I'll go for the £530 upgrade in the end but it helps me mention it and rehearse the argument before I raise it with the wife.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Adobe CS4

CS4 hasn't impressed me yet...sigh

Hi Egg,

I've been in the same boat as you, though my principle usage has been DW and Flash. For a long time I have been upgrading DW and flash separately - skipping versions with Dreamweaver, but upgrading flash.

Then came a job where the supplied files were a version higher than the flash I had installed. If I upgraded DW and Flash separately the cost was higher than upgrading to Flash 8 studio. I upgraded to Studio. I currently have CS3 - DW, Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks and captivate. The only downside to this is that my upgrade cost is now much higher than upgrading one product. The upside is that I have a lot of software i mostly don't use! LOL

I haven't upgraded to CS4 yet, but I will. It has some cool flash stuff, but FP 10 needs to get a bit more established.

Paul

JDonner/Paul, thanks for the replies. I find that one of the biggest disadvantages of not upgrading on a regular basis is when you do a web search for a solution the solution is almost invariably written in the latest iteration of the software, so if you have Flash 5 the internet help is of no value at all as it's referring to Flash 8. So you're almost forced to upgrade to keep abreast with on line help.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 13 November 2008 at 11:37 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

On Dreamweaver CS4... it has some neat tricks so if you are a heavy user it does pay for itself in saved time and reduced frustration. Support and management of CSS is better and the Liveview function is a help - you can see your page as it renders in a browser - including php scrips running - all from within DW. The Spry stuff has improved too; one of these widgits saved me a lot of time the other week.

Hiding in the suite is Fireworks. I have played with it in the past and got v frustrated but the reviews suggest it is now much improved as a webpage prototypes (on the design side - whereas DW is the building tool). I have found a promissing looking tutorial (http://abduzeedo.com/tutorial-newspo...reworks-part-1) which I plan to work through. I am hoping that with Photoshop export from Xtreme, this may become a useful tool.

Unlike Egg, my use of Flash is very occasional - and I have yet to explore it in CS4. Like Egg I have got trapped into paying for the upgrade (Web Standard) - cos once you have it they won't let you buy just a DW upgrade and leave the other parts of the suite.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Probably the best place to learn about the new changes to Adobe CS4 is at its Website Adobe TV.
    http://tv.adobe.com/#

Here is one video on the improvements in CS4 for using 3D objects in PhotoShop Extended and in After Effects.

http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1577v1009

In my humble opinion CS4 is a leap forward; I played a lot with Fireworks and just a bit with Illustrator, and both of them show good improvements.

To be honest I find Fireworks quite comparable to Xara for non-professional work (so excluding import-export factor).

Still I don't know if it's worth the price of these softwares...

Thanks for the replies. I've gone ahead an bought it. I d/l'ed Flash CS4 to have a play with it and I'm quite impressed. However catching up on ActionScript3 after ActionScript2 is going to be a BIG problem ...... I'm terrible at scripting!
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I've gone ahead an bought it. I d/l'ed Flash CS4 to have a play with it and I'm quite impressed. However catching up on ActionScript3 after ActionScript2 is going to be a BIG problem ...... I'm terrible at scripting!
    Yep I see your point. 3-4 years ago I started learning Actionscript by myself just for fun, but the learning curve is steep and I stoped after one months or so.
    I guess you can learn new things if you have a precise target to achieve, otherwise get lost. At least that's what happens to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
    In my humble opinion CS4 is a leap forward; I played a lot with Fireworks and just a bit with Illustrator, and both of them show good improvements.
    Adobe releases and a "leap forward", isn't that an oxymoron? When you want to see an application making leaps forward, then try Cinema 4D, even a .1 release is more than a new Adobe release.