Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: depth of field

Hello,

a little tip to create depth of field in Xara X.

1° draw your object.

2° apply a perspective with mould tool.

3° rotate your object at 90° (any rotation may be interesting and if you group your object with another
    one bigger and which has no filling and no outline you may begin your shadow already blurred !!!)

4° select Floor Shadow tool and chose your settings (in this case shadow transparency was turned to
    zero.)

5° orient your floor shadow (in this case it was exactly superposed to my object.)

6° convert to editable shape and ungroup.

7° use your shadow as a new bitmap object (I have reoriented, duplicated and displaced it and given
    different colors to the two bitmaps; then I have blended the two with alt rainbow setting.)

8° eventually add a new shadow.

...and enjoy all this world of new possibilities; not only depth of field but also motion blur, and more
    ...!

iva
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	depth-of-field.jpg 
Views:	4935 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	6088  

Hello,

a little tip to create depth of field in Xara X.

1° draw your object.

2° apply a perspective with mould tool.

3° rotate your object at 90° (any rotation may be interesting and if you group your object with another
    one bigger and which has no filling and no outline you may begin your shadow already blurred !!!)

4° select Floor Shadow tool and chose your settings (in this case shadow transparency was turned to
    zero.)

5° orient your floor shadow (in this case it was exactly superposed to my object.)

6° convert to editable shape and ungroup.

7° use your shadow as a new bitmap object (I have reoriented, duplicated and displaced it and given
    different colors to the two bitmaps; then I have blended the two with alt rainbow setting.)

8° eventually add a new shadow.

...and enjoy all this world of new possibilities; not only depth of field but also motion blur, and more
    ...!

iva

Ivan

What a great idea. I had a little difficulty following your tutorial at first until I grasped what you were after. I've created the same effect with text. Thanks for the excellent tip

Egg

Name:	dist_persp.gif 
Views:	4872 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	16606  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg !

Excuse my bad english !!!
    My drawing was also a text object. It was made with a font I have created with Xara 2 and Fontographer (all outlines were made with Xara !!!) Its name is BOTAROSA (all characters are botanical parts of wild roses.) I distribute it as a freeware and here it is for Xara users !!!

regards,

ivan

A linear bleach over the top would recreate my old art teacher's instructions with watercolours; things go blue and paler into the distance.

All these ideas are really inspiring.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

My brother is a photographer. Thus he asked me how one could displace focusing along objects !!!

After rotating your object at 90°, slice it into two parts; the slicing zone will be the focus zone.
    Then flip horizontally and vertically one of the two parts, apply your floor shadow to each parts, convert
    the two parts into editable shapes, and then flip again the part you have already flipped.
    You must probably nudge this part it to apply it correctly against the other one (nudge by pixels for
    more precision).
    Thanks for the nice idea to add an object with a blue bleach on top of the result !!!

Enjoy !!!

iva

Name:	focusing.jpg 
Views:	4730 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	2498  

Ivan

I've been messing around with the "glow" shadow (can't rember it's proper name now...halo?) and by doing convert to shapes, ungroup you can get some great affects. See attachment.

Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Try a Gif this time !!!

Name:	shadow_fx.gif 
Views:	4610 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	1233  
    Egg

depth of field for bitmaps !!!

Xara X can add different kind of blur effects to bitmaps; no need to go to other programs. I have applied it to an old Panhard & Levassor I have modelised in Lightwave (but not terminated at this time.)

1 bitmap oriented vertically.
    2 transparent bitmap copies (stained glass) with primary colors bleach.
    3 floor shadows of the bitmap copies with shadow transparency setting to zero (after that, convert to editable shapes and ungroup); superpose and group 4 copies of the resulting bitmaps for saturation !!!
    4 the same floor shadows filled with primary colors.
    5 the same exactly superposed with stained glass transparency.

You may play with little shifts, replacement of primary colors by others, ...!

Enjoy !!!

ivan

Name:	panblur.jpg 
Views:	4553 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	9543  

That may be easier with a .png file with an alpha channel. You can fill a copy of your shadow with
    white, set its transparency to mix and align it under the three shadows copies filled with primary colors.
    And then you can use any background !!!

ivan
    Attached Files Attached Files