Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to create a curved edge

Hi

I've attached a xar filr and simply I can't work out how to create the lurved edge in the right image on the left. I've tried using a circle and slice but failed .

Can someone point me in the right direction.

thanks Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: How to create a curved edge

Convert the rectangle to editable shape, add nodes where you want the curve to begin. Delete the corner node and stretch the resulting line to a curve.

Christine

I'm late... but here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help with nodes.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	25346  
    -=Bob=-

You could of course, cloned the right-hand image, then reversed it but nothing like learning the proper way.Itoo was typing this Bob and you got in ahead of me.

.Norman.
    Last edited by parahandy; 28 April 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Talking Re: How to create a curved edge

Thanks one and all, as usual I was on the wrong track

Ian

Boy Norm, I never even thought of that! Yikers, I'm an idiot! What a simple direct solution you had. Good thinking!!!!
    -=Bob=-

Here's my favourite way of doing this.

1: Create your rectangle (blue). Create a second rectangle (orange)
    2: Select the 2nd orange rectangle and set the rotation to 45 degrees in the rotaion text box
    3: Move the orange rectangle over the blue rectangle. Select both rectangles, Arrange / Combine Shapes / Subtract shapes.
    4: With the Shape Editor tool select the 2 new corner nodes. Hit the 'Make Curve C' icon and the 'Smooth Join S' icon
    5: The final shape

This might sound long winded but in fact is extremely fast and also allows for better placed nodes than can be acheived by just clicking the 'add node' method.

Name:	!Export.gif 
Views:	537 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	25367  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 29 April 2006 at 02:37 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks yet again, it seems everything I try to do has at least ten ways of doing it.

cheers

Ian

yes, thanks from me too Egg, i have never even used the make curve icon
    this technique of yours will keep me from having to constantly fiddle with trying to get those curves just right
    -=Bob=-

I do a lot of copying logos from bitmaps in my work and I am a stickler for precision. Here is my recommended method for creating the shape with a perfectly symmetrical rounded corner.

All of the above methods work just fine, but each rely on judging the curve of the path or position of the nodes by eye. If you need (or insist upon) perfection, it makes sense to allow Xara to do the drawing for you by using the available shape tools to achieve an exact copy. Of course, this approach only applies if the shape being copied is perfectly regular to begin with, which you must judge by eye (or ruler, perhaps) anyway. You soon find out the shape insn't an exact circle/square/equilateral triangle/whatever when you put the lines in and nothing matches up, which happens annoyingly often to me. Then it's time to wing it with the pen tool!

ONE TIP: when dragging the first rectangle, it helps to make it large enough to give the rounded corners room to slide into place and still leave enough straight path to complete your shape. Widening or heightening a rectangle after drawing stretches the rounded corners and ruins the symmetry.

Forgive me if I sound like I think my version supecedes everyone else's, that is not my intention, and I don't want to bruise any egos. I guess we all just prefer our own methods for doing most things in life, eh?

Al

Name:	corner.gif 
Views:	523 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	25376