Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

... but I found a workaround [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I tried to see if X3d would let me use an animated gif as a texture, but it won't animate. So I started thinking about other forms of animation, and eventually got this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

Michael J. Sims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoe_birds_anim.gif 
Views:	509 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	4466  

... but I found a workaround [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I tried to see if X3d would let me use an animated gif as a texture, but it won't animate. So I started thinking about other forms of animation, and eventually got this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

Michael J. Sims

is all it is, using the same principle as a zoetrope. I had started off trying a couple of complicated spinning cylinders with gaps around the edges, with graphics on the inside opposite face, but I couldn't get the gaps to show enough of the images, then I tried spinning discs with holes in the top, but eventually I realised that with suitable frame timing, a single spinning disc was all it needed.

I'm afraid I sometimes over-complicate things unnecessarily. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Michael J. Sims

I'm still not fully sure how you achieved the end result. Could you go into a bit of a mini-tut?
    5 Stars +

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

but the end result was very simple.

The animation is not birds flying, but a simple disc spinning. The texture was built from an image on the XaraX CD, clipart\animals\flight.xar. I placed the birds equidistantly around a circle, in the correct sequence, and placed a large circle outside the birds, grouped the whole lot together, and exported the image as a jpeg. This was applied as a texture to simple circle in X3D, which doesn't even need an extrusion or bevel. The image merely needed resized, but because both image and disc were circular, the texture was correctly centred on the disc automatically.

There are nine birds in the texture, so I set the frame rate at 9 frames per cycle, and 9 frames per second. The rotation is around the z-axis. In each frame, the disc has moved round by one whole image, so there is no need to hide intermediate rotational positions, which is a problem a real zoetrope has to cope with using slits in a cylinder. You can reverse the action of the animation just by reversing the direction of spin of the disc.

Mike

Michael J. Sims

Name:	Zoetrope_birds.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	7910  

Nice and thank you very much!
    Old

Was a lone wolf... Met the »ÂRF«. Now when
    the game is done I stand alone no longer.

http://www.arf-platoon.org/Rayeimages/2.png

You are one very creative person.Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Mike

Interestingly, Mike's brilliant animation is a little easier to understand (and appreciate) if you watch it load on a rather slow dial-up connection.

Thankyou for that explanation. I'm busy with web sites a present but I must give this a go. Thanks again
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

just to make the rotation clear.

My first attempt at cogs. I can see there's more to them than you'd think. Clockwork could be fun. (Hhmmm, rubs chin thoughtfully...) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mike

Michael J. Sims

Name:	Zoetrope_birds_cogs_anim2.gif 
Views:	373 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	7642