Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Probe Cutaway

Kane:

Your image has seduced both the right and left hemispheres of my brain! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The transparent, semi-transparent and cutout views, the sleek finish of the body and reflections off the glass are so well done! But the detail you have included is mind boggling! I get the feeling a highly magnified look at the .xar file would reveal grain boundaries in the metal fasteners!

Even if I had the talent to make such an image I wouldn’t have the patience! This is a fine piece of work! Hope to see more.

I, like Ross, would like to see some of your less complicated “doodles” to try and better understand your approach. Thanks for posting!

Bob C.

[This message was edited by Bob C. on March 20, 2002 at 08:14.]

Gobsmacked.

Brian.

Thank you Risto, Ross, Randy and all; a generous and humbling reception.
    Ross,
    I must acknowledge my adoption of David Kimble's style in this drawing; his techniques are a good starting point for cutaway work. My intention here was to construct a clean composition, then draw down into ever more detail. I also made less use of outlines than does Kimble, because I like a more natural look to the finished piece. It does take him or one of his surrogates (he employs several who work to his formula)an average of six weeks to commit this sort of image to painted film. This drawing took eight weeks to complete and goes into much finer detail than I was able to in my original acrylic painting, so I'm satisfied that the time was well spent.

I agree with you about the similarity between airbrush and vector work; they are both concerned with what happens inside boundaries and spaces. Define the space, then unleash the physics. A satisfying discipline. Having done this illustration in airbrushed acrylic and now in Xara2, I would far rather use the latter, even just for the ability to magnify the work and save my eyes!

Thanks again for all the very kind words. I am going to upload some detail images, which I did not have ready yesterday.

Ciao
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	section1.jpg 
Views:	1162 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	18038  

Detail 2

Name:	section2.jpg 
Views:	1130 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	4104  

Detail 3

Name:	section3.jpg 
Views:	1172 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	12323  

Detail 4

Name:	section4.jpg 
Views:	1043 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	2750  

Detail 5

Name:	section5.jpg 
Views:	983 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	16144  

as a beginning artist, I can't even fathom the right words to describe my feelings towards your illustration! Absolutely phenomenal!!!!! As an ex-mechanic, I can only say I wish that our manuals had pictures that were 1/10th as good as this one. And, on the detail images, I have to say that I am amazed, nearly every bolt, wing nut, etc. that could have shadow/highlight has one! Unbelievable.

Chris [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Holy Shit.

WOW! .... this project not only had a ton of work to measure the parts' locations but to actually draw all the detail and so well too is deserving of much praise [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com