Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probe Cutaway

This illustration is a reconstruction of an acrylic-on-board painting I did in 1996. I made the initial drawings using photos of the actual car, which the owner and I practically disassembled in his shop. I plotted the locations of various components using traditional perspective-plotting techniques, which required that I pin two lengths of string to the wall at vanishing points along a horizon line; the size of the original drawing was therefore limited by the length of the wall in my studio. Once I had finished the original pencil-on-mylar drawing, I had it enlarged on film to the finished size and retraced it in ink, then again in pencil on the reverse side of the mylar so that I could transfer the drawing to board, which I then painted onto using airbrush and brush. Big job.

I based the Xara illustration on the original pencil-on-mylar drawing, which I had reduced by a diazo printer and then scanned into a .jpeg file.

The final Xara file contains 883 objects. 36 separate component files were created to make this drawing.

I don't think this image will do the original any justice, but it's a start. If I get this right perhaps I'll post more of my work.

Thanks to Gary et al for all the time you commit to helping others use Xara!

Kane Rogers

[This message was edited by Kane Rogers on March 19, 2002 at 17:42.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	probecutaway.jpg 
Views:	1531 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	5479  

This illustration is a reconstruction of an acrylic-on-board painting I did in 1996. I made the initial drawings using photos of the actual car, which the owner and I practically disassembled in his shop. I plotted the locations of various components using traditional perspective-plotting techniques, which required that I pin two lengths of string to the wall at vanishing points along a horizon line; the size of the original drawing was therefore limited by the length of the wall in my studio. Once I had finished the original pencil-on-mylar drawing, I had it enlarged on film to the finished size and retraced it in ink, then again in pencil on the reverse side of the mylar so that I could transfer the drawing to board, which I then painted onto using airbrush and brush. Big job.

I based the Xara illustration on the original pencil-on-mylar drawing, which I had reduced by a diazo printer and then scanned into a .jpeg file.

The final Xara file contains 883 objects. 36 separate component files were created to make this drawing.

I don't think this image will do the original any justice, but it's a start. If I get this right perhaps I'll post more of my work.

Thanks to Gary et al for all the time you commit to helping others use Xara!

Kane Rogers

[This message was edited by Kane Rogers on March 19, 2002 at 17:42.]

That is beyond words! My head almost exploded when thinking about all the work that you put in to that illustration.

I don't know what to say - "amazing" and "unbelievable" sound to puny...

Kane - amazing, amazing work!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

And welcome to the xara forums. The illustration looks great! It reminds me of the work of David Kimble the airbrush artist known for his cutaway work. I remember reading that Kimble's car projects took him about six weeks of work. I'd be interested in your thoughts about using Xara for such work. I've often felt there are many conceptual parallels between airbrush work and how drawings can be put together in xara. You must find the xara more forgiving of mistakes. (The 'undo' button is my friend [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

Thanks for sharing your image with us. Please know that it is okay to post quick xara doodles too! Most of us can only imagine the satisfaction that must come from completing a monumental work like your Probe.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Sounds like doing the original was a lot of work! I think your work is amazing!
    WOW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Welcome to this incredible forum for graphic art! Your work is welcome anytime!

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Randy Allen
    "Wherever you go, there you are."
    Randy Allen

Randy Allen Photography

This is great! Such detail. If this does not do justice to the original drawing then I would like to see the original. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Great work. I look forward to seeing more!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Beautiful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I wouldn't have the patience. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Welcome!

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Very NICE [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I'm blown away. For a first posting that is pretty amazing work. How long have you been using XaraX??? You just couldn't be a newbie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] A silent observer and learner??

I'm impressed and truly amazed. If this is your first ever illustration in XaraX, then I am ..........no words to describe, kinda like Risto, my head is doing little explosions trying to see every little detail. What an eye you have.

Welcome and please bless us with more posts soon.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Outstanding.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

It's so great to see new and new creative and skilld users of Xara pop up in this forum. It gives me more an more confidence that I choose right. Cheers, Kane!