Deep said : <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My question is, with XML & SVG, Flash and the new capabilities of Shockwave, what's the big advantage to using DHTML?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The irony, of course, is that even though browser discrepancies still abound we are the closest we've ever been to Web Designer Nirvana - that being the majority of users viwing with the same browser version. And yet ... and yet, site design has reached a status quo - just go look at your favourite information site, chances are it has a banner at the top with links underneath (probably some form of tab) and 2-3 columns of short blurbs with links to 'MORE' information. Few commercial sites are taking chances anymore - we're further behind on the design curve than even 2 years ago!

I equate this with TV shows from the 60's - 70's that actually made an attempt to push the medium (don't get me wrong - I do NOT see the web as TV!) but once marketeers grab a hold it seems that the almighty dollar becomes the guiding force hence the swing to formulaic mediocrity.

DHTML, on the other hand, enhances all that is "web", in its purest form, the hypertext link. This is what sets the web apart from TV, from print, from radio, the ability to put complete choice into the viewer's hand, to further their experience should they wish to go in that direction.

Flash & Shockwave can certainly create an experience, visit http://www.theremediproject.com for a perfect example, and even though they may encourage side trips off the path, they are still a guided experience, subtle though they may be. With a pure HTML or DHTML page, the viewer has complete control on how much or how little information they choose to see simply by clicking their way through increasing levels - and without waiting for huge files to download!This, to my mind, is the advantage to DHTML over any plug-in application.

cfn ... Jen
Jen Worden
Web Developer
www.meadoworks.com