Here's another font editor by High Logic, who I haven't heard a peep from in a decade. The program is called (doh!) Font Creator, and the cheap non-commercial use only version is $79.

It meets the need to be able to import vector files and it looks pretty straightforward to use. I think there's a demo on this site:

Font Creator, $79 and up

The font editors we've gathered so far strongly indicate that if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound. All the companies discourage novices from being serious from the get-go, due to the steep prices of their Pro versions. Although Font Creator, the Pro version is an obnoxious $200, compared to the totally outrageous $400+ for FontLab. Bill and I got on board before they blew the prices out of reach, I think.

The thing that made me look Hi-Logic up is a 20 year old font creator in Quebec named Jessica LaPointe >>>go here for her free non-commercial use handwriting fonts<<< who uses Font Creator and is getting some nice stuff out of it. The code has a negligible error or two, but still...

—Gary