Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Guide Layers

Default Guide Layers

I design and lay out a 20 page newspaper in Xara every month. I use guides to set the printable area boundaries and column guides. Ideally I would like to be able to lock those in place by locking the guide layer, but then have another guide layer for the (unlocked) for adding quick guides for lining up text blocks etc along horizontal lines.

At present I have to go to layers and unlock the guides layer. I know I can add a guide to a locked guide layer but of course always get the warning dialog, and also once placed cannot be adjusted or removed without going to layers and unlocking the guide layer to edit them.

Of course, the base guides for printable area and columns I want to lock, they should never be accidentally movable, as unlocked guides are.

Thus, a simple solution would be the ability to have more than one guide layer, so all important unmovable guides can be locked on one layer and then another guide layer assigned for any further quick guides which can be added, moved or removed quickly.

Default Re: Guide Layers

You will be using a rectangular shape for your printable area boundaries and column guides, Yes. If you use the Rectangular Tool with your guide layer selected then you will be able to lock those in place and then use the normal vertical & horizontal guides drawing then off the rulers and they will still be editable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box_guides.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	75220  
    Design is thinking made visual.

Default Re: Guide Layers

Thanks, yes I never considered adding locked rectangles to the guide layer and leaving the guide layer unlocked, it works perfectly of course. Thanks again,
    Steve