Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Background hatching problem

I am trying to make a hatching pattern for a web page. See the attached. The hatching is at 45 degrees and matches correctly but the exported block has a border.

And I have tried Clipview but that too has this border.

Short of trimming it in a bit map tool, any ideas?! Thanks.

****Or does clipview work? Perhaps I had not done a full refresh?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stlewis; 30 August 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: perhaps I've solved it
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Default Re: Background hatching problem

Make sure your shape is placed at full pixel coordinates (move from 312.6 to 312.0) before exporting, otherwise antialiased borders are visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure why - but Xara Extreme 5.0 removed the following bit from their help index. It can be found in the help index from Xara Web Designer and speaks directly to your issue I believe:

Advanced backgrounds

Web Browsers do not allow a graduated color background over the whole visible window (i.e. as a real HTML background), but they do support repeating, tiled, bitmaps as backgrounds. So you can use this to create a full-window graduated background, by creating a bitmap, which is then tiled (repeated) across the page.

By creating a long thin strip as on the left, when set as a background,you get a graduated color background across the whole page.

To create this effect, follow these steps;

Draw a tall thin rectangle. This needs to be as tall as any user is likely to make their browser window so it doesn't repeat vertically. A value of 1000 pixels or more is recommended, which is much taller than your page. You may need to zoom out to draw one large enough. It should be very narrow.
    Make sure your rectangle has no outline: Click it in the Selector Tool and set it to have no outline. Click on the 'no color' cross-hatch patch on the Color Line (or select 'none' from the Line Width drop down menu on the top button bar).
    Ensure the rectangle is a few whole pixels wide, and then ensure it is on exact whole pixel X and Y coordinates: In the Selector tool select the rectangle, edit the Width (W) value, press Enter, then edit the X and Y positions to be whole numbers.
    Using the Fill tool, give it a graduated color fill as required: Just drag on the rectangle. Make sure it's graduated top to bottom by adjusting the fill arrow if necessarily.
    Export the rectangle as a PNG image. Click the 'Export as PNG' icon . Once exported drag it back onto the page from your File Explorer.
    Open the Bitmap Gallery , scroll down to see the graphic you just loaded (it will be a very thin, almost invisible thumbnail in the Gallery), and select it (click on it in the Gallery) and then click the Background button on the Bitmap Gallery. You can now delete the original rectangle from the page

Bug Re: Background hatching problem

Simon

I have noticed these lines too when I am doing repeating panels for my stereograms. Even when I use ClipView or make sure the bitmap is in even pixel amounts.

My fix has been to make the page background the same color as the image background. This usually solves the problem. However in your case this does not work. I even tried bringing the right side in one pixel and creating a new bitmap and I get the same line.

This is a bug for sure.

I tried something similar with a square bitmap and it tiles seamlessly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks everyone!

I tried all the positioning and size tricks but they still leave the line. The only thing which works is to put a further larger shape behind the hatching and rectangle and with the same fade as the rectangle. Then exporting the selection does the trick.

I also tried the two anti-aliasing options but they made no real difference at the kind of size I need.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I had the same problem once before with the line on one side of the rectange after exporting, but solved it by exporting as True Color, not True Color + Alpha. Here's the resulting background. Background file is 5px x 800px: http://www.brengmans.com/

Jim

Yes Gary, it's a new bug to XX5. I thought it'd been sorted but it obviously hasn't. It's a very serious bug too. It was never necessary to ensure whole pixel positioning prior to XX5.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

I made a bitmapcopy and it worked great.

My main concern is this;
    Shouldn't Xtreme disallow the decimals in pixels,when using the page as website?
    HTML doesn't use half pixels only whole pixels.
    It must be automatic be placed at whole pixels when using the page is website setting.

Hans