Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: What is your day job?

I'm a learning technologist at the University of Essex (in England). I support staff in the use of technology for learning, teaching and assessment. Although it sounds like a technical role, a lot of it is staff development (showing people how to use different software and packages, as well as illustrate why and in what context the technology can assist in student learning).

I am experienced with XHTML and CSS and am currently learning PHP and ASP, which I dabble with at work too. Graphics work is more of a hobby, although over the last year it has sadly been at the bottom of the 'to do' list! I particularly enjoy creating interactive exercises for primary school children, of which most have been created with Flash. Unfortunately, Flash is *frowned* on at work (due to its accessibility issues), so I'm probably a bit rusty now!

I think that's it!

Amanda

Wow, very interesting group of computer artists. Well, I'm currently a special effects airbrush artist for a 3D Theming Company in Tennessee. We travel around the U.S. and install theme designs mostly for youth ministries in churches. I'm also one of the vector graphic artists there. But I'm trying to faze out the airbrushing because it is so time consuming and unhealthy with all the paint fumes. So I've started a company called Wallpaper Creations, and I use Xara to create our artwork, and I'm hoping that this will be what I will do for the rest of my career. I've never been so completely consumed by a computer program before. I guess its like the kids playing video games. I'm hopelessly addicted to the program. I work to have enough money, so that I can work on Xara projects. But I have a truly strong feeling that I'm going to be able to make a living with Xara. It just takes time. Thanks,
    Last edited by steps; 20 November 2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: wording

Post Re: What is your day job?

I'm a freelance graphic and website designer, mostly for artists. Also I work for a British writer (on his Apple notebook pro, I like that ! ) I do the lay-out for his books (alas, it's not J.K.Rowling ). And I'm co-owner of an arts centre (gallery and workshops) here in France. I used te be an interior designer, but I got tired of that. The rest of my time I spend in our vegetable garden and with my friends. Oh yeah, and I'm addicted to Xara
    Last edited by MarciaB; 21 November 2007 at 11:20 AM.
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Cool Re: What is your day job?

My name is Alejandro Tejada Capellan.

I work as Graphic Designer and software developer.

Graphic Design, mostly with Xara Xtreme 3.2 and
    if time permits: Open Source Graphic software
    (blender, inkscape, gimp, xaraxl)

Software developer with Runtime Revolution and
    MetaCard. Check my website in yahoo:
    http://geocities.com/capellan2000

capellan..... just checked out that site... you're my new best friend

My first education was teacher (physics & math).
    But I started to work as IT-engeneer. Then I work as "universal soldier" in printing-bureau (meet Xara there).

After few years, I stop that work and start to do what I really like.

So now I'm a teacher (teaching kids to use computer). Working simultaneously in regular school, in local Youth Center and in local School of Art. Few years ago I've got second education as psychologist.

Also Im a software developer for my pleasure. You can find my programs on xaraXone Shareware page and on my site (see signature below).
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by

I don't have a job at the moment. So I have lots of time to learn Xara and do my joke art but not much money to have fun. I am hoping to get a job in a bar or something or maybe try and sell my art but I'm not very hopeful.

But I enjoy Berlin. Amazing city with lots of little private gallerys and artists.

Have you tried web design?

I'm a freelance writer, generally about manufacturing, automation, mechanical engineering design, plastics, other technical and semi-technical things. Far from being an artist, for diagrams and such I've used Xara, Corel 9 & 10 (still convinced that 9 was last good version), Mediachance Real-Draw Pro, an almost-lost-and-gone but brilliant 3D program called Asymetrix Web3D, and very rarely, Caligari Truespace and Autodesk Inventor. The latter I snagged doing some documentation for a company acquired by Autodesk.

The variety keeps me going - that and the need to pay the mortgage. And I don't mind the commute (12 steps down to work; 12 steps up to home). There's the occasional perk: just spent 5 days in Nagoya, Himeji and Tokyo for a magazine... 5 days as an aged infant, unable to speak except the simplest words, unable to read.

But as with most successful freelancers, I have plenty of stress, either the stress of deadlines or the stress of finding the next gig...
    Last edited by DGehman; 24 November 2007 at 12:06 PM.

I spent 25 years working for IT companies, working in Software development, Technical Sales Support, and electronic business implementation. A couple of years ago I took Voluntary Redundancy, and I now work for the UK National Health Service.

I have a fascination for both computer graphics and graphic arts, but sadly a total lack of detectable talent myself ;-{ Luckily, my kids have considerably more talent for art than I do, and these days a fair amount of spare time seems to be spent helping them with various school projects, often using Xara of course ;-)

Regards: Colin