I guess I *have* to reply to this thread seeing that I am a Macintosh! My first computer was a 8mhz MacSE - I still have it along with the first powermac (a 6100/66). These days the macs don't get turned on much. Sometimes my three year old turns on the MacSE and uses the clunky one-button mouse to locate and open the games he likes. The 6100 gets even less use.

At one time I was a Mac-addict. I was in love with a vector illustration program called 'Dream' which was a pumped up variation of the original MacDraw. (Little known fact: the guy who wrote MacDraw is the same guy who created EBay). I was probably one of just hundreds of users worldwide who used 'Dream'. It was a good intro for me to vector object-based illustration software.

I still like Macs but am happy using a pc. I find the biases of both camps too extreme. I have no doubt that the skills someone like Steve is developing using a pc will serve him well no matter which platform he ends up working with in the future. Sure, get enough exposure to macs now (before the job interviews) to see for yourself that they aren't that different. To me the platforms themselves aren't important, its the ability to use your brain to develop a illustration. Of course, the software you use can make things easier or harder. IMHO the operating system is even less important. A good designer like Gary could probably develop quite a nice illustration with a program as crude and limited as Microsoft Paint.

Although there are still many die-hard mac-based graphic design firms out there, I believe pc users aren't completely shut out. If it seems like the whole graphics world uses macs - open your eyes wider and expand your perspective. Thinking that macs dominate graphics is falling into a stereotype that doesn't reflect reality. There are so many different opportunities. The world is your oyster - go out and find some pearls.

Ultimately what matters most is not what school you went to, the style of clothes you wear, or the computer you use - it is how good you are. How good you are depends on *you*. Push yourself, absorb knowledge, seek out mentors, and, open your eyes wide and see the wonder of life itself.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on July 04, 2001 at 20:02.]