Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Just another way to succeed..?

It has been brought up before at TG that when a desired feature isn't built into Xtreme and where a way to produce the same result via an alternative method is found, it is rather negatively labeled a 'work-around' and considered second best (or worse).

Do you agree?

A 'work-around' to me means there is a known problem when the normal route is attempted so an alternative approach is used to avoid the error cropping up. (Such as avoiding a known bug for example.)
    This is a legitimate use of the term work-around as far as I see it.

Another TG discussion reminded me of this:
    Xtreme has no TWAIN interface (Acquire menu) yet some people really wish for it and consider it almost a show stopper at worst, or a PITA for them.
    I say that Acquire isn't strictly necessary for Xtreme and because it isn't available doesn't cause errors or a bug.
    Many scanners have configurable buttons which allow you to either nominate a target application (eg; Xara Xtreme) or send the scan to the clipboard, the scanned result can be simply opened from the paste command (or Ctrl+V). Most manufacturers supply a scanner driver which usually has plenty of user configurable options like resolution, colour depth, image effects and enhancements - often there are standard presets available too. This means your image is sent to the target application or clipboard in an almost 'image ready state' for final work.

Should this really be labeled a 'work-around'? After all, you are not avoiding any known errors or bugs, you are not having to work any harder (often it's easier than drilling through the Aquire menu of a graphics app). Rather than it being a work-around, it's just another way to succeed, or as has been said "workarounds are as creative as true solutions, involving outside the box thinking in their creation."

That's my view

What say you?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 31 December 2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spill Chucker failed