Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Summer World.

Default Summer World.

Hey all.

This is a new project I am working on in Designer Pro. As you can see it is a combination of 2D and 3D. There is not much to it yet, as I have only worked with it a few times, but I have plans to make it quite detailed. I want to make it very detailed so that I can have elements of it that can be zoomed into, similar to an infinite paper app.

Naturally Xara Designer is not infinite zoom capable but it is far more rich in features and abilities than any infinite paper app that I am aware of.

So, I have decided to work with Xara on this project.

I am just starting out, in a sense. I have had Xara software for a long time, since very early on, but I found it difficult to use back then (as I did most vector applications). So I switched to just painting digitally, then I bought an iPad and traveled for more than 10 years, so pushed Xara and PC use to the side.

While iPads are good for traveling, I found that iPad Pro is lacking in features and capabilities when compared to a PC, so here I am relearning everything.

That is why I signed up here.

Below you can see what I thus far have.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summerworld.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	134879  

Default Re: Summer World.

I think your premise of infinite zoom is wrong-hatted.
    If you will be using a browser, you will get a five-fold zoom in and a 10-fold zoom out.
    No everyone will have a Xara product that allow 256-fold zoom in or thereabouts.
    Going to PDF and you get limited by its dpi setting. 1200dpi is a 4-fold increase over normal print.

Using the Xara Extrude generates bitmaps.

Your best best would be to generate SVGs. You may then be able to script a must larger zoom.
    I doubt you have a suitable Xara product at present.

I've just tried 500-fold zoom on 99 objects in a browser.
    Code:
    .zoom {
      animation: scale 16s ease-in-out infinite;
    }
    @keyframes scale {
      50% {
        transform:scale(500);
      }
    }
    and the browser began to struggle.

Any scene would probably handle nested zooms to around 10,000-fold with careful planning.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by AYWM View Post
    Hey all.

This is a new project I am working on in Designer Pro. As you can see it is a combination of 2D and 3D. There is not much to it yet, as I have only worked with it a few times, but I have plans to make it quite detailed. I want to make it very detailed so that I can have elements of it that can be zoomed into, similar to an infinite paper app.

Naturally Xara Designer is not infinite zoom capable but it is far more rich in features and abilities than any infinite paper app that I am aware of.

So, I have decided to work with Xara on this project.

I am just starting out, in a sense. I have had Xara software for a long time, since very early on, but I found it difficult to use back then (as I did most vector applications). So I switched to just painting digitally, then I bought an iPad and traveled for more than 10 years, so pushed Xara and PC use to the side.

While iPads are good for traveling, I found that iPad Pro is lacking in features and capabilities when compared to a PC, so here I am relearning everything.

That is why I signed up here.

Below you can see what I thus far have.

What do you think?
    This far it looks good. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

I did only mean that I would be able to zoom in to the scene from within Xara Designer and make different full size scenes from the original since it is vector.

I had no idea that the 3D elements would be bitmap, good to know. Maybe I can rethink those, and make them isometric. My version of Xara Designer X9 is lacking in that area.

I am considering upgrading, or even switching to Corel Draw or Affinity Designer. I have Affinity Designer for iPad, but I find that more difficult to use. It does have a nice set of isometric features though, hope they improve on those. I know next to nothing about Corel Draw, other than you need to mortgage your house in order to afford it.

Or, pay forever for Adobe junk!

I did think that I could move around within Xara Designer while recording and that might be kind of neat to show. I could crop out the menus and such. Or, even make an animation, though, frame by frame takes forever. We need keyframes and onion skin!

But, been waiting millions of years for Xara to bring those to us.

Anyhoo!

I think this project is going to be a lot of fun, and I thank you all for coming along for the ride with me.

adobe is not junk

We need keyframes and onion skin!
    I can recommend toon boom harmony, but if you think adobe is expensive.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...