Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Sticky Placeholders

I'm a WD10 Premium user who is just trying out the new WD11 premium.

The sticky feature sounds useful and I've managed to get most of the graphic elements in my websites Header 'sticking' as they should. However, my header includes a rectangular placeholder which normally displays GoogleAds which simply won't display when made 'Sticky'.

I've experimented a bit, drawing a new rectangle within the header but not assigning it as a Placeholder and it displays fine. However, as soon as I assign it as a Placeholder and add the Googlead HTML code it disappears after uploading to the server and will no longer display.

Have I discovered a quirk?

Default Re: Sticky Placeholders

Works fine for me Steve.
    Do you have ADBLOCK installed?
    If so, you'll need to use an Incognito window (google chrome) to see your ads.

http://board.xara-users.info/gads/

Steve, I've tried a few other Placeholders and they all Stick.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

No, nothing like that. I just loaded the .web file that I produced in WD10 (which had been working fine complete with Google banner) into WD11 and worked my way through the bits at the top of the screen that I wanted to make 'sticky'. So I haven't really changed anything except make things 'sticky'.

You can see the banner/placeholder load as the page loads but then POOF!...it's gone :-)

I have a feeling that it would work fine if I started off with a blank page but it would be a mega-task to transfer the existing site bit by bit. I'll have another play around with it and see if I can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by steve911 View Post
    You can see the banner/placeholder load as the page loads but then POOF!...it's gone :-)
    Sounds like an AD blocker in action.
    URL please?

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    Sounds like an AD blocker in action.
    URL please?
    http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/

I just gave it a go in Google Chrome but have same problem (I normally use IE11).

If you have a look you'll see that I have ads in the main body of the website and they are working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by steve911 View Post
    I just gave it a go in Google Chrome but have same problem (I normally use IE11).
    OK, but you need to test a site in all browsers before publishing. You can't hope everyone uses IE11.

Your site has a lot of errors (invalid markup).
    https://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...Inline&group=0

For example, the row of links open popups inches down the page which can't be clicked on because they disappear when the mouse moves off the link.

I don't have time to troubleshoot the rest right now, I may come back to it later though.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    OK, but you need to test a site in all browsers before publishing. You can't hope everyone uses IE11.

Your site has a lot of errors (invalid markup).
    https://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...Inline&group=0

For example, the row of links open popups inches down the page which can't be clicked on because they disappear when the mouse moves off the link.

I don't have time to troubleshoot the rest right now, I may come back to it later though.
    It's OK, Steve, thanks for your help.

I've discovered that if I create a blank page and copy everything over then the ads work OK. It would be too much work to do this for the whole site so I think I'll stick with WD10 for the time being.