Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Problem with repel text

I'm a relatively new user of Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 13. I've been trying to get text to flow around a graphic, as the Help file shows. I took a couple of paragraphs of text, copied it, and pasted it into Xara. I then took a piece of clip art from Xara's files and placed it on top of the text. I right-clicked on the clip art and selected "Repel text under." But nothing happens. I looked to be sure that the clip was not under the text (I could select Move to Back for the clip art, but not Bring to Front). I read through a couple of older threads and tried to create a text box around the text so that it was a text area, but that didn't help. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'd be most grateful for some help with this.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Problem with repel text

Could you attach you .xar file to your next post? I'm sure someone here will be able to locate the problem.

Try creating your text box first then put your text in the box. If that doesn't work attach your file so we can take a look. If you already have your text, select all the text with the text tool, then copy and paste into your text box.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks, Boy, for your response. I decided to try again with different text and the same clip art graphic. I still cannot make the text repel, but this time, to my surprise, the clip art seems to be somewhat transparent. I don't understand why or how this happened. I simply got rid of the first text, replaced it with a different one, and then put the clip art back on top. I again checked the option "Repel text under," and I again looked to see that the clip art was indeed on top of the text. But still no repelling, and I'm mystified by the transparency.

I've attached a copy of the .xar file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wizard509, thanks for your message. I didn't see it until I had posted my response to Boy, but as it turns out, I think that I did what you had said.

Select both the text and the repelling object and make sure they are in front (Arrange > Bring to Front)

Thanks, gwpriester, for your response. I confess that I'm quite confused. The instructions in the Help file specify that the text should be under the graphic. When I have the graphic in the front and the text in the back, the transparency disappears but there's still no repelling, even though I've clicked on "Repel text under," as the instructions specified. If I follow your instructions and select each of them and make sure each is brought to front, I get the transparency again, but no repelling.

Beats me. I did not fare any better. We are both probably missing something very basic. Anyone else have any better luck?

I've done this dozens of times without any problems.

Where did you copy the text from? I copied your text to a plain text editor then deleted the text and text area. Create a text area then copied the plain text from the text editor and pasted into the text area. Brought the clipare to the front and it is repelling the text.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I looked at your file. I did the same thing Bill did. Copied the text and pasted into notepad then deleted your text and text box then made a new text box and pasted the unformatted text in it, moved the graphic on to the text and it was behind so brought it to the front and it worked perfectly.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.