Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Killing startup items

When I installed this new external HD I installed the backup software with it, thinking that with this much space I could backup my computer all the time. I have since found that my system is too old (and this new drive is too slow...much slower than my external HD MyBook) so I want the backup software to stop starting up when I boot my system.

I went to msconfig and turned off the software in startup and rebooted my computer. The backup software starts up again. I have found this happens with other softwares in the past. How do I make them stop starting up when I boot my computer?

btw, I am still trying to copy files to this new external. It is taking forever. Any folder with many folders inside it takes 10 minutes, even when it's only 2MB big. I did one folder that had 340 folders in it and it took 25 minutes. I have 50 of these folders to do yet. It is so frustrating. These folders are part of my DazStudio data folder.

I'm looking to make the system as light as possible to run faster. Turning off the antivirus guard helps. I'm using Avira that sledger suggested.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Killing startup items

Hi,
    I haven't really been following this but I am going to mention my delemma. I updraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 Premium. I spent the better part of a day reading Microsoft website on transfering files. I have two USB external HD one 500GB one 640GB. I ran the transfer wizard on one external, and Acronis Truimage 10 on the second one.
    The microsoft transfer wizard didn't work (wouldn't give option of selecting an extrnal drive).
    I finally got everything transferred. Using Acronis, but all the files (pictures Etc.) are owned by the previous computer, so I am limited what I can Delete and modify as this computer doens't have the permission.
    My point is KEEP to watch when tranferring files from old computer to new one as the permissions may get messed up.
    JimM
    P.S. I finally got everything back but it was a sloow process

There is a great little software that will handle this for you.
    It is called winpatrol and is located at
    www.winpatrol.com
    There is a free version and it will for sure stop the programs you do not want to start when you fire up your computer.
    Check it out! Very easy to use!
    I have the pro version which is fantastic!
    Deanna

You can also restore your windows startup through inserting your windows OS disk and booting up from that. But I would only do that as a last resort if you cannot find all the switches to turn off the crazy startup programs.

Your slow transfer maybe down to the old USB 1 technology USB 2 really sppeds thing up a lot, I know from previous posts your system is quite old so you probably have USB 1 not a lot you can do really you are going to continue encountering problems in the future with all sorts of things a hardware upgrade will solve most of your problems.

Thank you everyone.

Scotty, glad that you got it all sorted out.

I am sure that the slow transfer is due to my old USB ports but this new drive is much slower than my existing external MyBook. I was hoping that turning off uneeded programs might speed it up a tad, like it did when I disabled my antivirus guard. That was a big help.

I had my startup set to 'selective startup' but all the boxes under that option were checked (load system services, load startup items, etc. , which means everything would start I'm assuming. I had thought if I unchecked boxes for specific programs that they would stay unchecked but it isn't the case. I have since put it back to normal startup because I get an annoying popup about using selective startup and then the msconfig window opens upon reboot.

I will check out the Winpatrol program. I usually hesitate to install new software onto my poor, old computer but hopefully it's a small one.

New Question::

Neither my old external MyBook nor this new external Toshiba will let me use 'remove hardware safely' to remove them from my computer. They both say that they are in use and to try later. I can't figure out how I'm ever going to remove them from my computer.

I am assuming that they are saying this because the Toshiba installed the backup software so there's a bridge between the PC and the Toshiba. The MyBook has all my 3D runtimes on it and DazStudio points to those files. I also have lots of games on it with shortcuts on my desktop.

Do I have to remove all cross connections to make them removable?

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    I have since put it back to normal startup because I get an annoying popup about using selective startup and then the msconfig window opens upon reboot.
    Hi Nancy

if you untick items on the startup tab and reboot - you get this message ? [assuming XP]

tick the box and click ok - reboot

you should not get any more messages and if you check msconfig, your items should remain unticked

As for your drives - not all drives work at the same speed [seperate issue from USB speed] - the amount of onboard memory cache and spin speed will be factors - quite apart from the 1.5TB size

You can disconnect your drives physically when the computer is shut down and unpowered - but that might affect the backup software...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msc-mess.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	70006  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I don't want the backup program anyway. It's useless to me on this computer. I am going to look in 'add/remove programs and uninstall it if it's there.

Thanks for letting me know that I can disconnect when it's shutdown.

For now I have everything that needs copying on disc, just in case, so I am not quite as worried about not having it all backed up yet. I'll just keep plugging away and try Deanna's program if handrawn's suggestion doesn't work.

Edit: The reviews on this Toshiba are dismal for USB users. Seems that eSATA users are much happier. Summary is most people hate the virtual drive partion (me too), the automatic Autotask install and the 5 minute sleep mode setting that can't be changed and a few had it freeze up. After I get everything copied to this drive I'm going to get another MyBook and make a copy to it. I don't trust this Toshiba anymore.

$109.99 for 1.5TB. If it looks too good to be true, then it usually is.
    Last edited by Burpee; 21 February 2010 at 03:06 PM.

if you have a pci/pci-e slot free in the computer there are [host adapter] cards you can get that will enable you to use e-sata rather than usb

its pretty much the same idea, but with a different kind of connector

I just mention this - I have never tried it, my sata drive is internal

word has it e-sata will be eclipsed by usb 3 when this arrives.......
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...