Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text link does't work

It took me a couple of hours to find out why certain text I had created with a link didn't work. I think I finally found the problem.

The culprit is the "SHADOW" I applied to the Text. Look at the file I supplied. The first line of text does't have a shadow and the link works great. The second line has the same link, but I applied a shadow to it. As a result, the link doesn't work.

I know what you're going to tell me: simply apply your link using the "Selector tool", but if I do this, I loose the ability to apply the link to a single word within the text.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the way XTreme is designed?

Thanks

Rick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Text link does't work

Browsers cannot render real text with a shadow or any other effect other than link colours, therefore any text which has a graphic effect applied becomes an image on export (a .png)
    So you will need to apply your link after applying a shadow to the object. If you need a mouseover colour change effect, this will require a copy of the image (text with shadow) on the mouseover layer with any colour change you require.

Thanks Sledger.

That's the answer I didn't want to hear but which I expected.

Cheers....

Rick

If you want the text to remain as text, but insist on some shadowing behind it, you can cheat. For a drop shadow, make a copy of the text, convert to shapes, make it black (for example) and blur it a little, move it behind the text and offset a little. Leave the text itself alone.

For something less specific than a drop shadow, draw a shape around the text, fill it with black (or any desired color) and move behind the text, then blur it and add transparency to taste. Again, leave the text itself alone.

These methods take a little experimenting and fiddling, but allow you do have your text stand out nicely as though they had an effect applied, but not be converted to images.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Try this procedure:
    1. Type your link text.
    2. Clone it (Ctrl+K).
    3. Convert the clone to and editable shape.
      Arrange > Convert to Editable Shape
    4. Move the shadowed clone behind the original text.
      Arrange > Move backwards
    5. Select the original text string (sitting on top of your shadowed graphic) and apply a link.
      Web Properties > Link (tab) > Link to page
    Attached Files Attached Files

Much more accurate re-creation of the text effects. Great stuff, thanks!
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Thanks Guys for the help.

I had done the same workaround before reading back your replies and yes it works, but it is still a workaround.

If for some reason I have to modify the text (say to shorten it or whatever), and if it place within the text, then I also have to move the shape with it.

I guess I can't win.....

Thanks guys

Rick