Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Show us your sites!

I maintain and develop a few sites. Mostly related to the hobbies that I am interested in.

I was so excited about my new piece of software Web Designer that I immediately started rewrites on all my sites.

I settled for this one as I thought it would be the easiest. Since all my sites have extensive menus in them I am glad I started with this one. I find the menu function of Web Designer to be tedious after using menu maker and webstyle with the built in menu editors. I like that function and hope the Web Designer is going to integrate it somehow in the near future.

I tried the place holder to insert my menu maker html and it didn't look very good.

Thanks for the video links because that cleared the mud right up. Appreciate the help and I think I'll wait to see if the above upgrade is made soon to make the job a little less tedious. I'm into efficiency since I do maintain quite a few sites.

Just fixed my page name that shows up in the browser window.
    Last edited by dlynnhicks; 29 March 2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: updated site
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by dlynnhicks View Post
    I'm into efficiency since I do maintain quite a few sites...
    I would recommend greater use of JPEG instead of PNG for images for site download optimisation. I'm going to produce a video about efficiency soon. Also, the Links button dropdown menu has a slightly too large gap between button and menu and its possible for the menu to disappear as the cursor is moved down off the button and into the menu.
    IP

That is weird because they were all .jpg when I imported them onto the page. Wonder where that change was made?

I brought the buttons closer. I have also seen the examples using the menu maker script on these pages using the place holder. I probably did it wrong, so I will practice on a blank page and see how it goes. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by dlynnhicks; 29 March 2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: updated site
    IP

The NOAA link for example is a PNG and would benefit from being a JPG.

You can determine what image type a photo/bitmap exports as by selecting it, going to the Image tab of the Web Properties dialogue, and choosing the export properties. All but simple, plain web graphics should be JPG for optimum results. PNG should also only be used for transparency when the visible background changes, otherwise JPG is fine and feigns transparency.
    IP

Here's a page I put together purely for my own entertainment.
    This site will never go public (with the exception of showing it here at TG ).

Seems to work fine in all browsers with the exception that FireFox has accelerated the speed of the animated gif.

A quick google about this reveals it's a common problem brought up by FF users.
    I'm not too concerned because it's not serious enough or, as mentioned, isn't a page that is mean't for general public viewing - simply a bit of playtime with Xara Web Designer

BTW: The date above the small left panel is some javascript in a placeholder

<script type="text/javascript">
    var d = new Date()
    document.write(d.getDate())
    document.write(".")
    document.write(d.getMonth() + 1)
    document.write(".")
    document.write(d.getFullYear())
    </script>
    IP

That's pretty cool sledger. I've seen those flying birds quite a few times but they seem to fit right in on that site.
    IP

All charts, images and weather forecast text is pulled live from their respective sources. So it's always the latest available.

The crows came from the free online Animation Library.
    The stylized cyclone animation I created in WD as a .swf
    IP

I figured it out. It's the layers. It throws me sometimes. That comes with experience. Since I am used to coding all this out through Dreamweaver if I must. WD will choose PNG if you don't choose jpg. To make it change you have to be on the right layer. I have one gif at the top that WD converted to a png.

Thanks for your input.
    IP

This site has a lot of information. The old site was a lot of words. I like the pop up bubbles to help get information to the community. I would like your opinions ELSI

I finally got the drop down menu to work like I wanted it to. I am adding some more pictures but I am having a problem with the popup for my facility. I cannot figure out why I can't get the picture layer to go dormant and come up only when mouseover for facility is engaged.

I will try to upload my wd file. Thanks in advance for you advice and input.

I have changed some things and you will see that in the file. My goal is to have just the one picture of my trucks on the page and the other pictures coming up only on mouseover. I want to declutter the site but give customers the ability to see the facility. I have a separte layer for the facility picture but it will not go away. All the rest are working fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dlynnhicks; 03 April 2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: More explaination I hope
    Mrs. Debbie Hicks
    Ret AF, AD2H
    IP

Debbie,

In a quick glancew, I didn't see anything that was linked to the facility pop up layer. Apparently the only way to "mark" something as a pop layer is by having something link to it as such.

Did I just miss the link or did you maybe kill it in groupings/movings, etc?
    IP