Quote Originally Posted by KWard View Post
Despite what was said in an earlier post - certain tags like <H1> most certainly DO make a difference in Search engine optimization
No, it was not proven to be so.
just as the naming of graphics to something relative to the site also makes a difference in search engine placement!
It was officially stated that instead of using descriptive image file names one has to use alt property of images.
Just change these on your site and watch the placement change with it...
There is a number of much more important rating factors than html layout. Most important are references from other sites. When you modify your page in any way, it is revisited by SE and may have rating reset to the different level it was before editing. You have to wait for some time to see it stabilize.
It is going to be REAL pain to go back thru each page and RE-NAME the graphics in the folders and on the pages to match, if I want my page to move up in the ranks.
It would be a waste of time and effort. If you have correct alt set for all images, renaming files will not influence the rating of your site.
Why not give us the option of keeping the naming for each graphic as it is imported or placed on the webpages?
Because most graphics is supposed to be created within WD, so have no names, or taken from your camera and have a meaningless name. And the correct method of describing image content is not it's file name but specially created for this purpose alt property. Read W3C if you don't know it. Google doesn't read your image filename if it has alt property. Using alt tags is also necessary for accessibility reasons.
The numbering system just won't cut it for me.
Then don't use it.
...but the time it saves me in one area is being taken up doing other things to make up for what it won't do.
That's because you do things that you used to do with other programs, but you don't have to do it with WD. But you still do... If you want to use WD the way you use other authoring tools, then you are going a wrong way. If you want another Dreamweaver but with Xara name, there will be none. XWD provides absolutely different work flow, it's a different tool, you have to use it differently.