Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default The Powershot G10 thread

Late last year I needed a more portable camera for situations where the dSLR wasn't appropriate or just too bulky. I also wanted good movie recording. Some may recall that after several weeks of reading reviews and considered deliberation I settled for a LUMIX DMC-LZ10. I was thoroughly disappointed with it's IQ every time I took a photo.
    I'd been eyeing off the Powershot G10 but the expense was bothering me.
    Finaly, after photos from an evening out with my newly emigrated family made my gut sink with disappointment once again - I thought no more about the expense and ordered the G10 right away.
    It arrived yesterday and this morning I have charged the battery and started to play.

The G10 shoots RAW as well as JPG, however though I always shoot raw with dSLR, I think JPG will be the order of the day for the G10.
    So far the results are exactly what I want from a pocket camera.

As to the camera itself, it's built like a tank (cast magnesium alloy body) and weighs nicely in the hand. Too large for a shirt pocket, but fine for a jacket pocket.
    Although it takes a proprietary lithium battery (I have ordered an extra two) rather than the preferred AA (as the dSLR does) each charge is said to allow 400 shots while using the LCD screen to compose the shot. Many more if you use the analog viewfinder.

Here's a cropped shot of my mate Peekai.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G10 - Peekai.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	55337  
    IP