Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 4 crashes on save but not all the time

I had similar behavior when my hard disk was going to die ))
    There were a lot of bad sectors on disk...
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

I thought of that a few weeks earlier when mystery crashes started on the computer and changed the disks. Turned out to be a faulty memory.

But the problem with the Xar files turned up after that and happened with the original and new disks.

I did check all the disks for bad sectors at the time and found none.

I"m also having problems with Windows crashing while using Xara Xtreme 4 ( regular, not pro )
    Happens when I am rotating triangular quickshapes. Nothing fancy, not even with many shapes in project.
    My setup: PC: Gateway desktop running AMD Athlon 6000
    - 3 gigs RAM
    - Windows Vista Home Premium
    -Xara Xtreme 4
    - no other applications running concurrently

- Andy

Over the last few days Xtreme pro 4 has been crashing when I try to save files. Not everytime though. Sometimes I cannot save the file but after a reboot of XP I can open the same file and save it.
    Xara seemed to try to save the file but got stuck when something blocked access to the D drive.
    I was stuck until exactly the same thing happened to firefox.
    As an experiment I created an A4 page with 1 simple black block. Saved fine the first time but wouldn't save when the block was moved.
    Tried uninstalling AVG to get rid of the resident shield (while disconnected from the net)
    Rebooted the system and opened the test file again.
    Moved the block and saved it about 10 15 times with no problem.
    Tried a different file that had also caused problems and this also saved without problems.
    reinstalled AVg from a fresh download and tried both files again without any problems.
    Seems that the resident shield was trying to scan the files as they were saved but then something goes wrong and the whole lot gets stuck.
    During all this I got no error messages other than XP eventually saying that there was a problem and the program was not responding.
    Hopefully everything is finally sorted but if not Avira is standing by to take over from AVG

Finally fixed.
    AVg was not the problem, just another symptom of the problem.

I've solved the problem although not tracked down the original cause.

It appears that one of the windows hotfixes has messed up the attrib commands and permissions within My Documents but not sure which one.
    This meant that many files were listed with a different owner or had the read only attribute set.
    using the attrib -r -s command did not work nor did taking ownership of the files using safe mode.

Fix was to move all files out of My Document to another drive and then delete the entire User Account.
    Reboot windows into safe mode and create a new account with the same name and then copy all files back into the new My Documents folder.
    Once this was done, the files were tested and those that had caused a problem now opened and saved without any problem.