Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Xara X1 crashing my computer

Many users have had no problems using Xara X¹ on Windows XP with NTFS partitions.

I still have X¹ on my Windows XP system and have no issues.

Which drive do you have X¹ installed? What type of partition is the drive?

Which drive and type of partition are you saving to that causes the error?

Is the drive, or folder read only?

Would you be willing to enable remote assistance so I could connect to your system and help isolate the problem?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by CoachAlDG View Post
    That's why I think it's a Windows XP compatibility problem and having something to do with NTFS vs Fat 32 drives.
    I can only echo what Bill has said regarding the compatibility of X¹ with OSes from Win98 to present..
    The NT file system has been around for quite sometime and X¹ talks to it fine.
    In view of this and that many other people also run X¹ on NTFS based systems without any saving issues and that you run other Xara programs also without a problem indicates very strongly that there is a unique issue with your system and your installation of X¹. As I haven't come across your particular problem, I can't be of much help (unless I had the machine on the bench to work on..)
    One question I should ask, are any of your drives (or folders) compressed?

Hi Bill,

I have X1 installed on my C drive. It's a 500 gig drive, NTFS, no partitions. I also have another 500 gig drive, NTFS, no partitions as my E: drive. If I save to either of these drives I get the error.

I also have 2 more external 500 gig drives, Fat32, which if I save to it works correctly. No partitions.

None of the drives are read only. The folders on the NTFS drive ARE read-only. This is what I tried to change but couldn't get the attrib command to work.

Yes, I would be willing to enable remote assistance but I'm not sure when I could arrange it. I'm in Hawaii, where are you? Time difference? I'm also dealing with some health issues and work.

Thank you, Al

Hi Steve,

As far as I know, nothing is compressed.

Thanks, Al

You'd soon see, compressed file names are shown blue rather than the system default black.

eg:

Uncompressed: myproject.xar

Compressed: myproject.xar

Glad to see the comment about read only helped a little.

All windows programs are supposed to see the "read Only" atrib and not change or save over those files but there are quite a few that just ignore it.

In this case Xara is doing the right thing but windows is messed up.

You should just be able to open the folder in explorer and then right click on the file and choose properties and then click on the read only box to get rid of it. If not, the problem is with windows.

It could be one of a few things.
    You might not have permission to change the properties if you are not running as an administrator.
    The settings may be messed up in the main administrators account and blocking all other accounts from changing them.
    Or you might have software running that protects these settings.

The quickest way to try to get rid of it is to restart in safemode, log on as the administrator and open explorer and see if you can change the properties from there. If you can, then change over to your own account, still in safemode, and check the settings again.
    When you go back to normal windows the properties should stay changed.
    Hopefully this will work. If not try the MS forums and knowledge base.

As for NTFS, I've run everything from X1 through to X4 Pro only on NTFS drives without having any problems so NTFS should not make any difference.
    X1 should also have no problem with Xar files compressed by windows. I have quite a few of those archived in one folder and have never had a problem with those. (they show up as blue in explorer).

I seem to have solved my problem which appears to have been caused by AVG blocking saving to the files it was checking during the full scan.
    Worked all day with the problem files but did not click save while AVG was running the full scan and result was no problems