Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Xara X1 crashing my computer

I have never seen that happen in x1 in WIN98 or XP. This is just a shot in the dark, but what app is the .xar file type associated with on your computer? If another program is associated with the .xar extensions you could get that type of save error.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Thanks for the idea John. It was a good one, but I checked and the .xar file is associated correctly, with Xara X.

So, I'm still stuck here. My plan is to just not use "save as" at all and just use save with different filenames as a workaround. Rinky dink solution but I don't know what else to do.

Anyone have any other ideas, please let them fly.

When I get a chance I'm going to install it on my daughter's computer and see if I get the same problem. Then maybe I can figure out if it's my computer or the program.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Al

Hi Hi CoachAlDG,
    Not too clear on your problem.
    When you use "save as" with the same name, do you get the message asking if you want to do this.
    or are you using the "save" command.
    A while ago I had a similar problem that started happening on a few programs.
    Windows had messed up and set the files and a couple of folders to read only so I couldn't write to the files a second time.
    Took a while to find and clear the read only setting from all the files. I think it was caused by one of the the windows updates as the following month all the problems disappeared after the next update.

Worth using explorer to look at the files and then right clicking on the file, choose properties and seeing if read only is selected. If it is try checking the properties of the folder as well.

Read your post on "Xtreme Pro 4 crashes on save but not all the time" and I think I have found the problem with that. AVG scan locking the files while it scans the D drive. This probably explains why it won't shut using task manager as windows is stuck waiting too.
    Hope this helps

Hi Rogue,

Thanks for the idea. I checked my folders and files and they are ALL set at read only. I tried to uncheck the read only, then do apply, and it goes right back to read only. I checked my security levels and it looks like I should be able to uncheck the read only but I can't seem to. This goes for multiple disks, all folders and all files. Any idea how to get rid of this read only problem?

Thank you, Al

Update: I created a new folder on a different disk drive. Still couldn't get rid of the "read only" on the folder. But, I created a new XAR file in the folder. Kept checking it's read only status after each save and it wasn't set at read only. I WAS able to do a save and a save as using the same filename. So, I do think the "read only" problem is important if not the solution. Now to see if I can do this on my working drive.
    Last edited by CoachAlDG; 16 October 2008 at 12:00 AM.

That's definitely not right

Head over to the MS Knowledge base and read this article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;326549

Hi Sledger,

Thanks for the tip. I have 2 NTFS drives and 2 FAT 32 drives. Looks like the Fat 32 drives work fine, but the NTFS drives don't. I tried removing the Read Only attributes from the NTFS folders but was unsuccessful.

So my thinking here is that the problem lies with Xara X1's inability to deal with Windows NTFS drives and the read only attribute. The reason I say this is how come Photoshop and the multidute of other programs I'm running on this computer have no problem with the NTFS drives.

Anyway, I will send my conclusion to Xara support and see what they say.

Thank you, Al

Quote Originally Posted by CoachAlDG
    I tried removing the Read Only attributes from the NTFS folders but was unsuccessful.
    Al that is specifically what Steve's link to the Microsoft Knowledge base article corrects. The fact that some applications are violating the read only attribute is not an indication that an application that does respond according to system parameters is acting incorrectly.

Xara X¹ has never had any problems reading or writing to NTFS drives on any of my computers or network drives.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,

All I can say is I read that article and tried to follow the instructions exactly for removing the attributes and got formatting errors and results that didn't match what the article said would happen.

In addition, I don't see why I'm having to deal with all this stuff in the first place. It seems pretty obvious to me that Xara X1 and Windows are not getting along very well. I'm not a programmer, at least I haven't been for a very long time, and don't really see why this is my problem. I've already spent days trying to get this to work and it is been hugely frustrating.

I have sent my concerns to Xara and am waiting for a response. But, I'd certainly like to see Xara change the program so it can handle this. All my other programs (including other Xara programs) do, so why can't this one?

Have a good one, Al

It is frustrating Al. I have had Xara X¹ running on many different computers with different versions of Windows since it was first released and never had problems saving. I currently have X¹ running on Vista without any issues. No need for compatibility mode, just normal Vista mode.

Something on your system appears to be blocking the program from performing the way it was designed to function.

Have you turned off any registry tracking software, anti-spyware, antivirus, anti-adware programs and rebooted your system? Basically turn off anything that you do no actually need for Windows operation do a reboot to clear memory and then open Xara X¹ and try saving several files that would normally give you an error.

If you do not get any errors then one by one re-enable some of your other apps that startup when Windows boots. Between each reboot your system and test Xara X¹. Continue to do this until you find the program that causes the errors to reappear.

I know that sounds like a lot of work, but that is what I would do if you brought your computer to me for repair.
    Last edited by Soquili; 16 October 2008 at 03:07 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,

I did that as one of the first things. Disconnected from the Internet, shut down all other programs - virus, firewall, etc. Still got the error. That's why I think it's a Windows XP compatibility problem and having something to do with NTFS vs Fat 32 drives.

Thanks for hanging with me.

Al