Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Xara X1 crashing my computer

Hi,

I just purchased Xara X1. Two weird things, one irritating, one very important.

1. Every time I run the program it asks me to register. I've registered 4 or 5 times now but it continues to ask me to register.

2. Of much more concern, every time I try to do a save or save as the program goes into "not responding" mode. I can't close the program, not even with Windows Task Manager. I need to reboot my computer to get going again. I have been able to do an "export" of the file but not the save. Obviously, this is unacceptable.

I deinstalled, re-downloaded and reinstalled a couple of times already with no improvement.

Any advice?

Al

Default Re: Xara X1 crashing my computer

Hello Al,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Are you running Vista? If so please uninstall Xara X¹ and then do a reinstall running as Administrator.

To run the install as Administrator when the autorun begins exit. Open Windows Explorer or MyComputer. Navigate to where you have the downloaded installation file. Right click it and select Run as Administrator.

After the installation is complete the first time you run the program right click it's desktop icon and select Run as Administrator. You will only need to do the right click once after than you can simply double click the program icon to launch Xara X¹.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you for your response. But, I'm not running Vista. I'm running XP. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Al

It may be your antivirus software causing the problem. Or if you have a registry monitoring software that could be the problem.

After uninstalling X¹ disconnect from the internet. Turn off your antivirus software and and spyware/adware removers. Anything you have that may prevent updates to the registry, turn it off.

Install Xara X¹ by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator, it works in XP (and where Vista got that feature .
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Supporting Bills answer, here's a graphical representation of the Run as Admin process in XP.

Note that you may need to install additional files as commented.
    The link is here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x1.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	52741  

I did as you suggested. Uninstalled, disconnected from Internet, turned off antivirus software, reinstalled with Admin account.

The registration now works so the minor problem is fixed.

The major one, though, the inability to save files continues. When I try to save a file the program goes to "not responding" mode and I need to reboot. This is getting very frustrating.

I'll look at what these files I might need to add but I ask "why should I have to add these files?" Isn't this program made to run under XP? I've never had so much trouble installing a program, even Photoshop.

Any more advice, I'd like to hear it.

Thank you, Al

Al the only thing I can think of at this point it a possible corrupt download.

Try downloading the program again.

Xara X¹ runs without issues on every version of Windows that I have tried it on, Win98 through Vista Ultimate.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by CoachAlDG View Post
    I'll look at what these files I might need to add but I ask "why should I have to add these files?" Isn't this program made to run under XP?
    Yes of course it is.
    Xara mentions the *possibility* that additional files a required.
    The installer checks to see if the required files are already present, if not a connection to the internet is made in order to download them.
    However, if the connection has been blocked by a firewall or other securty software, the installation of these required files may fail which in turn results in problems running the software.

Manually downloading and installing may help.

That your X1 is hanging when trying to save a file can indicate a file write error.
    You might try error checking the drive you are trying to save to?

just add I have been running xara X1 under XP home [currently SP3] ever since it [xaraX1] came out , without any problems like this

have you tried shutting down the process in task manager? - that may at least prevent the need to reboot?

also is it installed on a drive other than C:?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

So frustrating...

I deinstalled. Redownloaded. Shut down firewall and antivirus. Installed those extra files manually. Reinstalled as admin. Still can't save files but I can export.

Will try another download.

It is installed on the C: drive although I've been trying to save to a different drive. No other programs are having trouble with this drive.

Task manager cannot shut down the process, I tried that, many times.