Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need some info before buying

I'm currently using the trial version and planning to get Xara Xtreme Pro. I have a few questions.

http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/...esign-tutorial

1: I tried to replicate that in XXPro but the result is not smooth. Pattern along a path is what I'm talking about. Is there a better way to do that in XXPro?

2: If I get XXPro, do i have to worry about Xara3D? Since I'm a person that likes to work with 3d text a lot.

well that's all I'm curious about for now. I might have more questions later as I use the trial.

Default Re: need some info before buying

Pattern along a path is what I'm talking about. Is there a better way to do that in XXPro?
    Whilst it is possible to do this in the Blend tool with 'Blend along a path', brushes are probably a much quicker approach.

For example, draw four 4pix×16pix rectangles stacked vertically with the desired four-colour pattern. Group them, go to the Freehand Tool and click 'Create brush'. Now you can draw your basic diagonal lines as in the example (make them big, eg. 64pix line width), then select them and, in the Freehand Tool, pick out the brush you have just made from the Brushes drop-down menu. You will probably have to 'Edit brush' and reduce the amount of spacing to ensure the rectangles join together smoothly.

Alternatively, draw the lines and clone them twice. Make the top copy of the lines a '0' width line and the middle copy half the line width of the bottom copy. Use 'Arrange->Convert to shapes' on the middle (half-width) and bottom (full-width) lines, then 'Arrange->Combine shapes->Slice' the bottom copy against the zero-width top line. Having cloned the zero-width line you can do the same to the middle copy. You now have four line segments next to each other, which you can colour as appropriate. The advantage of this method over the brushes is that you get exact shapes which also draw quicker. The disadvantage is it's not quite so easy to edit the line shapes afterwards.

Hi User33,

XXpro does its own 3D text.
    You don't need X3D unless you want to animate the 3D.

Line method was discussed here.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=31862
    Last edited by salaam; 11 July 2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: link
    True love is the ultimate truth

I've tried the blend and the brush methods, and I cannot get the blend to look smooth, even at 999 steps. The Brush method is fine, up to a point.
    With a lot of fiddling it's possible to get a smooth arc, but if the arc is too sharp, the brush starts to break up.
    I cannot get my head around the other method at all, Bob. That's not a criticism, just a statement of my inability to understand instructions without graphic accompaniment!
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcs.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	50660  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I'd tend to use contours to do the same effect
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I would just do stacked lines..
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Stacked lines or a contour might do the same thing.

It is the use of the vector brush that gives the smooth lines while in XPro we have the limitation of a bitmap brush. A vector brush is what a few of us have been asking for a while as it restricts many types of users, like people who draw cartoons, portrait artist and as you have shown here graphic design.

Having moan at bit here, on the plus side you would not have to jump from Illy into PS as you could easily dirty up the design all in XPro.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I've tried the blend and the brush methods, and I cannot get the blend to look smooth, even at 999 steps. The Brush method is fine, up to a point.
    With a lot of fiddling it's possible to get a smooth arc, but if the arc is too sharp, the brush starts to break up.

Using circles rather than rectangles will give a smoother result. (Remember the wisdom of SLegders cat)

PS I didn't understand Bob's tutorial either.
    Last edited by salaam; 12 July 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Veering slightly further from the original post, but still a tenuous link to the post from Anas about using circles for a brush, I came up with this incredibly simpe brush of just 3 circles (.xar attached). I liked the result. A couple of edits produced the variation in the colours, and the circle graphic in the middle was given a contour. I still haven't figured out how to produce a brush for the creation of smooth arcs, though (no graphics supplied for me to get my head round the concept).
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	50709  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.