Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default pdf2xar.exe ate my memory

I have had varied success with importing PDF files into the 3.0.1.748DL release of Xara Xtreme Pro.

I first noticed that after a period of around a minute after trying to open/import a PDF that Xara Xtreme would give two errors ("A read error occured (unknown) with the file: unknown" and then "An unknown file i/o error has occured") and then my PC would feel slightly sluggish in other use (after I closed Xtreme and went off to do other things).

http://www.diniel.com/forums/pdf2xar...sk-manager.png

I tried again and with Task Manager open, found that while Xtreme was trying to open the PDF, pdf2xar.exe had maxxed out my processor (an Athlon 64 3000+ on my desktop, a Turion 64 2 GHz on my laptop) at 98-99%, and only reduced its load when Xtreme gave the two errors. During the time that it was thumping the processor, its RAM use was steadily increasing all of the time - though when I closed Xtreme the memory was not released back: that only happened when I "End Task"'ed the pdf2xar.exe program.

I was actually trying to import an invoice which I had saved as a PDF using pdfFactory Pro when I had this problem, but after trying again, I can't import *any* PDFs created this way: including a simple 'print' of the logo from the top left of this website - try the example file from http://www.diniel.com/forums/tg-logo-printed-to-pdf.pdf

Unconnected with this, when running Xtreme Pro as a User in Windows XP (ie not an Administrator), PDF import doesn't work at all - but rather than try and fail as above, Xtreme gives errors saying that it 'can't find images in the HTML document'.

Default Re: pdf2xar.exe ate my memory

This is very similar to a PDF problem I'm suffering from, namley opening any.
    With one PDF that had been produced in Xtreme not pro after a few seconds I get a loud PC alarm bleeping which carries on until I contol/alt/delete out of Xara and then restart windows. I assume its something to do with running out of resources, processor and or memory, I don't want to go through it again with task manager open.
    I certainly get the file unknown error and file cannot be found message. This and a few other PDF isssues are being looked at by John Whittington from Xara using the PDF(s) that cause the problem(s).
    Derek

Default Re: pdf2xar.exe ate my memory

The memory use issue has been fixed in the next update of Pro (i.e the CD verison).