Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Rounded corners on rectangle

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    DukeofThomas, I see you used some bitmap fills for your bevels.
    I wasn't aware that I had used bitmap fills for the bevels, I just coloured them in the same way as the original rectangle had been. I didn't have much luck with your example, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    I've found this statement from Charles. But it seems, it's not implemented, yet.

Regards,
    Remi
    Well, I am in full agreement with Charles!
    "However I think it would be preferable to make it so that rounded corners always remains rounded no matter how you squash or stretch the rectangle. If they really want to stretch the rounded corners as well, then Convert to Shapes first."

Hallelujah!!!

I can now use X1 for what I wanted, thanks to you guys (doing Convert to Editable Shapes at the right stage was the bit where I was going wrong. It's hardly obvious though.) Other than minor niggles with the interface (I feel the arrows are too small, quite poorly designed (they look like an afterthought from Windows 3.1!) I like X1. Problem over, back to work!

The problem is, you're working with an old version. The newest version is Xara Xtreme, not Xara X1.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    The problem is, you're working with an old version. The newest version is Xara Xtreme, not Xara X1.
    How is it different in Xtreme Remi? I downloaded the demo to have a look but it seemed to be the same (that was several hours ago, so I didn't know then what I know now). I didn't want to upgrade to Xtreme as X1 does everything I need (at least, it would do if the round corners problem was fixed).

DofT,

Attached is a sample of arrow sizes. Perhaps if you could explain the problem you're having we could point you in the right direction.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofThomas View Post
    How is it different in Xtreme Remi?
    http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/whatsnew.asp

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofThomas View Post
    I didn't want to upgrade to Xtreme as X1 does everything I need
    You're right: Xara X1 is also a excellent piece of software with great functionality. Every new user needs a little bit time to understand the great potential and the advantages of the excellent GUI design within Xara X1 or Xara Xtreme. The interface looks a little bit "poor" the first time, but it's the fastest and best intuitive interface of a vector graphics editor out there. Using Xara X1/Xtreme is more drawing the natural way, not like the bad interface of Adobe Illustrator. Give it a try and if you need a more Windows XP like GUI style, buy a update to Xara Xtreme.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 13 November 2006 at 11:41 PM.

DukeofThomas, maybe the attached animation will help explain the way I move the rounded corners.

If using multiple shapes as shown in the attachment, marquee select all the shapes. Switch to the Shape Editor Tool and marquee select the nodes you want to move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rounded-rectangle.gif 
Views:	208 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	32030  
    Last edited by Soquili; 14 November 2006 at 12:16 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

well, it occurs to me that while you are positioning and repositioning, resizing et al.... the roundness of the corners is not terribly necessary. create the shape, position and size it and then round the corners. this what i generally do if i want to avoid distortions that are, to be honest and as M. Bramhill has suggested, to be expected.

or....
    convert the rectangle to an editable shape... and resize by grabbing the control points on the side/corner to be reshaped with the Shape Editor Tool and control/drag them in the direction you want the shape to increase... example below.

or...

toss out the best vector graphics program available and get yerself a pencil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PFFT!

someone beat me to it....and did a fancier job of it too!

oh well. hope it helps.

geo.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBen View Post
    well, it occurs to me that while you are positioning and repositioning, resizing et al.... the roundness of the corners is not terribly necessary.
    But what if I want to change the dimensions of the box because I'm changing the size of the text inside it?
    Then it most certainly IS necessary to have the corners round, because they're ALREADY round. This is specifically what I use X1 for - creating round cornered, bevel edged, shadowed boxes. It's very good at it, except for this one minor point.

create the shape, position and size it and then round the corners. this what i generally do if i want to avoid distortions that are, to be honest and as M. Bramhill has suggested, to be expected.
    No, they aren't to be expected, because NOBODY would want them. On any other shape than a rectangle, you would probably want them to be distorted as you squash the shape, but on a rectangle, can you show me any examples of the use of distorted corners, on a webpage? And can you show me any that look good?

or....
    convert the rectangle to an editable shape... and resize by grabbing the control points on the side/corner to be reshaped with the Shape Editor Tool and control/drag them in the direction you want the shape to increase... example below.

or...

toss out the best vector graphics program available and get yerself a pencil.
    This is starting to almost sound like a religion.
    I see this all the time - the moment you dare to question a program, those who have got used to its 'inconsistencies' (shall I say - bad design points) come to its defence as if it's a holy shrine or something.

The behaviour of the round corners is not "to be expected", because when resizing a rectangle, 99% of people DON'T want the corners to be ruined. Why did they set up the corners perfectly in the first place? Ask yourself this: why does Xtreme not set up the round corners unevenly when you first create them, and why does it not even ALLOW you to adjust them unevenly when first created? Because it looks rubbish, that's why.