Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rounded corners on rectangle

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    This has been discussed SO many times over the years...

The best solution from all discussions is presented here from diniel.

In summary, after stretching:
    1. Turn on Snap to Object
    2. Redraw the rectangle to the same dimensions
    3. Delete the original, and then applying curvature to the new rectangle
    Quick video:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    Two clicks to convert the rectangle to an editable shape then a marquee select to select the points and a nudge to adjust the size isn't exactly a lot of work...

Tony
    It IS a lot of completely unnecessary work if you have to do it every time you want to change the size of the rectangle, which in my case, could be four or five times while I decide on the 'look' of it. The ability to simply resize a round cornered rectangle without deforming the corners should have been the default behaviour of Xara from the beginning. Who on earth would want the corners to deform when they adjusted the height or width of the rectangle? What possible application could it satisfy, looking, as it does, like rubbish?

I simply can't use Xara because of this problem. It's the main thing I (was going to) use it for - generating nice round edged rectangles with bevelled edges and a shadow.

Do any of you know the best way to work with Xara to resize a round cornered rectangle with a bevelled edge and shadow? When I try to convert it to shapes to resize it, I then have to individually resize each part! The bevel and the rectangle - separately. What a great idea! It's only a few clicks...

What amazes me is that there are people here defending this idiocy. If you had to jump through hoops to, for example, resize a normal rectangle, would it still be no big deal? Talk about destroying the creative flow. This problem means that Xara disobeys one of the fundamental laws of user interface design: make the program do what the user expects it to. (That would be - what MOST users expect it to). And make it just as easy for everybody else to do what THEY want it to, if the 'expected' function isn't what they want.

I think I'll have to find another graphics program. What a shame.

Can anybody suggest a graphics program that will allow me to draw round cornered rectangles, add bevelled edges, and a shadow, and resize the rectangles easily without deforming the corners? I've looked at PhotoImpact but that doesn't have the bevels (unless I've missed it) and also has odd behaviour - when you resize the rectangle (you have to edit path and then drag the nodes, the same as in Xara), it then won't allow you to adjust the roundness of the corners: brilliant!
    Adobe Illustrator also does exactly the same as Xara. And it's supposed to be the 'best' graphics package. Does anybody on earth actually WANT their corners to deform when they resize a rectangle? Talk about lazy programming, on the part of all of these companies.

Is there another program that can actually perform this simple task that loads of webpage designers must want?
    Last edited by DukeofThomas; 13 November 2006 at 06:59 PM.

Have you considered ensuring your rectangle is the size and shape you require before adding a radius to the corners?

If you are going to dump a programme 'cos of one li'l niggle you won't have any programmes at all.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Keep cool, Thomas or Duke or Duke of Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofThomas View Post
    Is there another program that can actually perform this simple task that loads of webpage designers must want?
    There is a great software, who is able to do this and it's open source: Xara Xtreme for Linux. The developers have changed the way of this function within Xara Xtreme for Linux and if you have a little bit patience, you'll get this in the next version of Xara Xtreme (for Windows). (The update is coming soon...)

Regards,
    Remi

DofT,

What seems like crazy behaviour to you is in fact exactly the required behaviour required by most users 99 % of the time. If I resize a drawing (of my London bus) I dont expect (nor want) it to retain the same rounded corners, I want these deformed as is everything else in the drawing is deformed by the same percentage.

Because you specifically want to resize a rounded rectangle but keep the same roundness of the corners, then that's a SPECIAL case, not the norm for resizing objects.

I can understand in some circumstance it might be advantagous to retain the roundness of each corner, say in a flow diagram and you can purchase programs that will do as you require (Visio?) but then you'd find it difficult to draw a car using Visio! As Remi states, hopefully it won't be too long before you have a CHOICE of doing both but currently the program works as it should, NOT incorrectly as you would wish.

Meanwhile there's a perfectly good / fast workaround.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.gif 
Views:	254 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	32009  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Must be one of those mini-buses ...

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Keep cool, Thomas or Duke or Duke of Thomas.
    There is a great software, who is able to do this and it's open source: Xara Xtreme for Linux. The developers have changed the way of this function within Xara Xtreme for Linux and if you have a little bit patience, you'll get this in the next version of Xara Xtreme (for Windows). (The update is coming soon...)
    Regards,
    Remi
    No swf export for animation then?

Quote Originally Posted by Intbel View Post
    Have you considered ensuring your rectangle is the size and shape you require before adding a radius to the corners?

If you are going to dump a programme 'cos of one li'l niggle you won't have any programmes at all.
    It's not one little niggle, it's the only reason I bought X1. I use it specifically for creating rectangles with bevelled edges and shadows.

I don't know until I've drawn the rectangle whether it's the right dimensions, as I will be putting text into it. If I then change the text, I then have to start all over again.

Re it being the normal behaviour you would expect - not for rectangles it isn't! I don't expect other complex shapes to maintain their corners, obviously. Like I said - who would WANT a rectangle's corners to deform when they deformed the rectangle? How often do you see rectangles with deformed corners, on the web?