Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Xtreme keeps asking for registgration

Every time (starting today) I invoke Xara Xtreme, it says it is not registered. I have registered it several times this afternoon. It thanks me, but the next time I bring it up, it's the same thing over again.

By the way, I just installed Xara Webster 2 yesterday afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Registration.gif 
Views:	266 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	28600  
    Charlie

Default Re: Xara Xtreme keeps asking for registgration

It's probably because you still had Xara Webster in there.

I recently ran a registry cleaner and the only incident that occured was that Xara Xtreme's serial number got deleted from the registry. I have no clue why. I re-entered the number and now it wants me to register again.

It's an inherent weakness amongst all software that I noticed, once it is newly installed, there is no bit set in the registry that tells the software has been registered. So, like a chicken on a june bug one goes and registers the product again; of course the Web page program doesn't know any better and gives you either, "Thank you for registering or You are already registred or on occasion, "there is a user using that name, please choose another."

The latter of course, can cause problems as you can guess.

I always thought registering should be like shooting a bullseye. Once you hit it, it's recorded, can't be changed and the placard with the bullseye on it is moved to the bullseye (registered) records section. No need to repeat ever under any circumstances again.

register>send registry notification>mark bit in program, registry and online.
    If registered>bullseye bit makes a hit on Web page> message for registration is void.

Seems simple to me to fix, but what do I know.

Hi Charlie,

Having Xara X, or Xara X¹, or Xara Xtreme and Xara Webster installed on the same machine causes that problem. It's like sibling rivelry, always disagreeing who has the default access

I uninstalled Xara Webster and the problem when away. Webster is a "Lite" version of Xara Xtreme, so it is actually redundant having them both installed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have only Xara Xtreme and Xara 3D on my computer, and it always asks me too. It was driving me nucking futz, but I found that if I just clicked the close button, you know, that X in the upper right-hand corner of the dialog box, it closed it down, and then the splash screen came up saying it is registered.

Of course, it might not be a bug. It might be a feature.

Regards,

Alan

I noticed in screen capture the box for always ask this at startup is checked try unchecking it.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
    I recently ran a registry cleaner and the only incident that occured was that Xara Xtreme's serial number got deleted from the registry. I have no clue why. I re-entered the number and now it wants me to register again.
    The serial number gets deleted any time I run a registry cleaner or defrag the hard disk. I think that's been the case with every version of Xara I've ever had.

The "Please register" popup is a regular occurrence. I just ignore it. Someone once posted a registry hack that stopped it.

As for the file type registration issue Charlie asked about, just decide which version of Xara you want *.xar files to open in when you doubleclick them in your file manager, then uncheck the "Always perform" box in the dialog when it pops up in other versions.
    Last edited by amoore; 14 August 2006 at 03:00 PM.

set up the registry cleaner so that "cookie" is NOT deleted
    -=Bob=-