BrianE:
I was interested in the topic, as your problem is my problem, if I'm using these menues.

You didn't ask for a review of your site, but regarding the "Splash" page.

Clickable Link to Site, I was trying to find out how to get into your actual site and this was not easy enough.

Here is a simple way to do the same thing. http://www.raw-pleasure.com/ - It's about food.
It's a great looking site. When I can make my sites as nice as that one, I'll be satisfied with my efforts. He had an Xara menu, but he's
removed it.
If you want to have credit for the design. I wouldn't put it in one of those banner adds. I don't think people are even going to read it. They haven't even seen your site yet, so they aren't going to be saying wow, who made this site. I think it's smart when a little note or icon is on the bottom of each page. Designed by Angel View Graphics, would be classy.

Put your site into the please review topic, and find out what people really think.

SiteLevel looks interesting.

Fred: That might work. I'd be concerned about it adding to the total load time. You could really just make it one graphic instead of several for you greyscale idea.