Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Deb

I bet you created your chrome text zoomed in at a higher magnification and then exported it at normal size.

Try enlarging the text so it looks good at a 100% and post it again. I bet it will look much better.

BTW. I asked Eric (and he agreed) to remove the font he had made avaialble for download in one of the posts in this thread. Unless a font, or piece of clip art is in the public domain, or is free and permission to distribute granted, please don't post same in this conference as Xara could ultimately be sued for copyright infringement. (Not to mention your moderator staff :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the xara export system seems too fussy for me...
    just zoom into your selection and hit [printscreen key} this copies a screenshot on to your clipboard then paste it into say, PSP and save as jpg or whatever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(begin lecture)

Eric, Eric, Eric. How many times do we have to tell you that you can take PSP off your computer? You don't need it. Exporting a high quality bitmap image is as easy as pressing the button in the Export dialog that reads Help. Anything you need to know is explained there.

Sure you can do a screen capture and resize it in PSP or Photoshop, but why? If you reduce the image to the desired size, you run the chance of sacrificing image quality. Why not take a moment, it is not rocket science for heaven's sake, and learn how to export from Xara? You rely on PSP like a baby relies on its pacifier. The time has come to ween you off of PSP. The only useful purpose an application like that serves is the ability to select individual pixels and groups of pixels, which is just as fussy as exporting a clean, crisp, vibrant bitmap image from Xara.

(end lecture)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...
    IP

Eric

I neither know nor care if you need PSP for anything or not, but I agree completely with Gary about exporting from XX. It does the job so well that it's the export tool of choice for Ross (as stated in another thread somewhere), myself and many others to the extent that we bring in our Photoshop (or other bitmap) images to export with our chosen settings from Xara. Sure, you might find the interface a little bit fiddly till you get used to it, but it provides stacks of control, produces excellent bitmaps with tidy file sizes, and your current export method sounds absolutely bizarre by comparison! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on May 23, 2001 at 07:29.]
    IP

Are you sure Pete, or are you really just sitting on the fence on this one? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

--
    Big Frank was
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

my goodness, it was only a suggestion.!
    IP

Eric, if you want to criticise me because of something I posted here, please have the courage to post your reply here too for everyone else to see. Send me another critical email marked 'off the record' and you'll find it posted right back up here the moment I get it!

Now, on the record:

If you think my comment about PSP was patronising, try reading it again and consider what I might have meant. In case it helps, what I said was 'I neither know nor care if you need PSP for anything or not'. Now think about it, because really I don't. It doesn't affect my life one little bit. Why should it? My comment was neither for nor against PSP, but a simple statement of fact. I don't use it, so it makes no difference to me. Which means that I'm not at all phased by your attempted tit-for-tat 'retaliation'. (I'd probably have been more surprised if my choice of software had been important to you.)

Now, if you're still there, consider the 'offending' comment again and see if you can't (in the light of what I've said) detect the slightest hint of light-hearted support in the face of Gary's fairly uncompromising stance. Where I couldn't agree with you was in your apparently total rejection of the Xara export dialogues, and I had every right to express an alternative opinion. I'm not 'holier' than anybody, but I have heard of freedom of speech, nobody's been accused of blasphemy and I don't think you had any need to go back and edit out (or subsequently delete!) your original comments just because a couple of folk disagreed. (BTW, how do you export a bitmap with more pixels than your maximum screenshot, or deal with animations or transparent backgrounds? And don't all apps offer a choice of export settings, and wouldn't you be frustrated by one that didn't?)

Still reading, Eric? Don't suppose you'll care (why should you?) that I spend my life trying to bring out the best in young people (no, I don't mean you, because that would be patronising), I may sometimes be open to misinterpretation (aren't we all?), but I simply don't patronise people.

Now please reply if you want to, but please do it here.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    IP

well peter you've just stuck some new badges on me there! AND NO! i do not believe the forum is the place to discuss such things, it's not a lack of courage, it's called tact. as for gary's reply it was lighthearted and made me laugh at the SUGGESTION i forwarded, now compare that to your opening dialogue.
    yes i did it patronising and aloof, and i don't think i'm the only one who judged it somewhat OTT. as for freedom of speech well of course thats fine but how about some tact peter?
    try switching our names and imagine it was you, i'm too old (43)for tit-for-tat arguments and i was not baiting you in any way! when i hurt somebodys feeling on the forum recently recently by making innapropriate comments i felt awful about it, and i apologised sincerely by e-mail to keep it personal. the forum is not the place...if i haven't been kicked off the forum that is...

Eric Williams

[This message was edited by scouse eric on May 23, 2001 at 16:51.]
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

What-a-ya think Eric - Is it perhaps time to close this thread before anymore feathers are ruffled?? I think so because the topic has drifted away from chrome. If you agree, how about us locking up this thread and us all moving on to bigger and better xara things!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

thank ross,

subject over, i'm sorry if i upset anybody.

cheers
    eric
    IP

DUH!
    cannot close it...says no rights etc.
    help [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP