Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Great(New...feature

Hi,

I thought about a new years feature around here

I think lately on this forum the talk isn't about graphics but more about
    what features xtreme lacks and these issues in comparison to other programs.
    I think this clutters the whole concept of a forum

I for instance use ALL the tools that are the best in certain programs.
    As i stated before; you use a hammer to put in a nail and use a drill to put in a screw.
    I could use the drill to hammer in the nail but that isn't its best feature
    so i use a hammer,makes me search for it as i have the drill in my hand
    But thats just HOW it is,Get over it

I think maybe as of this(new years) day we could refrain our selfs from any
    needtohave future feature(make a wishlist on the forum)
    And keep talking about this graphics program we love to work with.

So nough said,happy new year to all

Hans

Default Re: Great(New...feature

I'll buy that.

Happy New Year Hans and Happy Drawing....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hear hear. :-)

Happy New Year to you too.

Gary

Agreed.

Happy New Year
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Not a chance LOL!

I have refrained from starting any wish-lists recently and don't make more than one or two posts in such threads, but it is human nature to want more or better tools. Xara cannot rest on its laurels and hope to stay ahead, it must keep improving and to assess what is needed by users, they need input.

I'm always interested to hear ideas on new features, that does not mean I think they are all sensible or even desirable. I honestly don't see a problem, we are mostly adults here, surely no reasonable topic should be 'beyond the pale'? If you don't like such discussions don't take part - simple.

Though I promise never to start another thread on wanted features, I can practically guarantee there will be plenty of them this year.

Hi,

I didn't mean there could not be a discussion on features,hey, posted some requests myself, but I'd like it to be,as in other fora,in a wish list.

My point was the general discussion on the XaraXtreme board getting
    to much off topic and discussing what other programs and online thingies can do that extreme can't and going to put it in almost every thread posted.

This takes up much space and threads with good questions or points are overwhelmed by the ongoing discussion in these other threads.
    It almost looks like the discussion is the only talk in talkgraphics.

Hans

I agree with Hans. Stop making feature requests....

...request bug-fixes instead!

Seriously though, I can imagine that seeing every thread turn into a feature request can be irritating. All I can say is that when you encounter someone saying:
    Can we have feature X*?
    that you say something like:

a) we probably won't see that feature implemented in a very very long time/ever
    b) not gonna happen. If you want that feature, buy program Y that has feature X
    c) Use your imagination. There are people who can make beautiful Xara images using just ellipses - why can't you figure out an alternative method for imitating a simple feature like this?
    d) There are more important features on the wish list and frankly, the gains would not outweigh the efforts and money put into this feature
    e) Not enough resources for that. If you have the time, money and programming knowledge, go ahead and astonish us with your skills.
    f) = a) + So you better find another way to do this.
    g) = a) + By the time the feature gets implemented, we would have much better features in Xara, in 3D!/solved the world's energy problem/invented interplanetary travel/<fill in yourself>

In other words: be more stringent.
    If you reckon the feature won't be implemented (for a long time), say so. It's harsh, but better than giving users the idea the feature might be available on a short notice. Unless that user can give some really good arguments why feature X would benefit lots of others - potentially arguing that feature X combined with a lot of other Xara features can give some great results - and help Xara become more popular, there's no reason to give that feature any priority.

*) X being an (advanced) pixel editing feature that you'd only find in Photoshop or the like, a vector feature that only 1 in 300 Xara users would use, a coffee-making ability etc. etc.

It appears that this is proof of Hans' statement.

It has is already discussing other threads and how to deal with requests for features
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Personally, I think that if someone from Xara reads the posts, they already know most of the features that us users would like to see.

I don't even think that the users should start "wishlists" they're actually pretty pointless unless someone from Xara is specifically reading them. Now if someone from Xara starts a poll or a thread as a wish list, that's a new game entirely,
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I can't say if someone from Xara reads every post, but I'm pretty sure they read all the wishlist threads. Of course with all the wishlist threads over the last 7 years they have a large selection to weed through. In addition they have their own wish list which includes many if not all the wishlist items from the forums.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update